S750/770 ... This the right forum?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
prado escondido

S750/770 ... This the right forum?

Post by prado escondido »

Hi ... I'm new here.

I came looking for some info/ help with the S750.

A search of 'all sections' of this forum came up with "nada, kein, zip, zilch, etc."

If not here, where would I find help with these old samplers?

Thanks

prado
Know1

You're In the right spot.

Post by Know1 »

I'd say ask your questions. There's people on here that know about those samplers.
prado escondido

Re: S750/770 ... This the right forum?

TY ... to the point:

I just bought a used S750 through a guy I trust. He and one of his partners had both fired up this unit (at different times) to verify it was working before I came by to pick it up ... their shop was selling it for a friend/ customer.

It came with a 3.5 floppy with O/S 2.25 on it ... although in searching on line the latest O/S I could find was 2.23?

I was away for the weekend when I picked it up and I never fired it up. I did take out the floppy and try to copy the file on a friend's PC so I'd have it for later. I was unable to do so ... windows either couldn't read or couldn't open the file.

Since I got home and tried to fire it up ... no love. It powers on, the disk drive green light flashes for a while that it's reading ... but then stops and nothing happens.

I am painfully ignorant about these units. I know they have a SCSI connection and that's what folks use to transfer samples.

From what I can figure out you must first boot using the floppy.

I'm guessing I somehow 'cooked' the file. 3.5 drives are scarce these days ... so I'm scrambling to figure out where to write a download of the O/S.

Questions:

Do I more or less have the right picture as far as what you have to do to boot?

Must you boot off the floppy or can you somehow use an attached SCSI for booting? ... zip or harddrive, etc.

Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

prado
prado escondido

Well, 'Know1,' I'm beginning to have my doubts!

Or is it 'No1,' as in Ulysses and the Cyclops?

prado
Know1

Sorry Bro

Post by Know1 »

Well there were certainly some cats in here talkin real big. They had mentioned those samplers. There are some intelligent people on here though. I don't know what else to tell you. I've never used one of them.

Maybe try contacting Roland product support.
www.rolandus.com/support/

Peace
prado escondido

Thanks, 'Know1,' I don't doubt you ... just thought I'd see if I could get some attention. Better than 'bumping' myself.

I guess those who know are busy at the moment.

Best regards

prado
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I've never owned one of these, but the thread got me curious about the machine. I did find a thread on Gearslutz that was talking about booting from a SCSI drive though. Here's the link:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... 750-a.html

Also, 3.5" floppy drives aren't as scarce as you may think. In fact you can get your hands on one for around $10 from many online computer parts suppliers. Seems pretty excessive to buy and install an old drive to make one disk, I know, but if it's your only option it might be worth it to get that fine piece of vintage gear working again.

Good luck, hope it works out.
prado escondido

Mega Thanks ...

Very unToad of you, Sprockett ... thanks a lot!

prado