Trying to get the most out of my Edirol-09HR

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
mnorman

Trying to get the most out of my Edirol-09HR

Post by mnorman »

I'm a professional journalist interviewing in a variety of situations and I'd like some advice from those who use the Edirol-09 HR, which I just got. For the moment, I'm not concerned about broadcast quality, just picking up voice I can transcribe. In a one-to-one interview, in a reasonably quiet setting, no problems at all. But in the following situations, I'm having a lot of difficulty:

1. Small conference rooms with a number of people talking, some softly, and with window Air Conditioners humming in the background.

2. In a hospital emergency room where I'm trying to pick up conversations between clinicians and with lots going on in the background.

I've been using the Edirol in:
AGC
mic gain set to "hi"
low cut off
sample rate is 48
MP3-128

I got a CS-15 mic thinking that it would help. It's no better at picking up voices across the room -- the real problem -- than the internal mic. I can't use a real shotgun mic because it's simply not practical in reporting field work. It's really the rooms full of people that are giving me trouble. All advice welcome.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get the most out of my Edirol-09HR

Post by Artemiy »

Your problem, of course, is the polar pattern of the microphones. With omnidirectional mikes like the stock ones in the 09, it's impossible to record in places with high ambient noise. As of the accessory mike, it is written as being cardioid, however, the results depend on the actual pattern and sometimes it's not that far from omni in the main forward field you direct it to.

I would definitely recommend you to find a hyper-cardioid or a unidirectional/shotgun mike.

mnorman

Post by mnorman »

Thanks Artemiy. A long shotgun mike would not go with the job, but if I could find a 5-6 inch narrow-barrel hyper-card or uni-directional, something small enough not to call too much attention to itself, that would perfect. Can you suggest some gear I should look at.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sorry, mnorman, I can only use Google to find such a mike ;-)