Ringing distortion in Edirol M-16DX

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Villi

Ringing distortion in Edirol M-16DX

Post by Villi »

Hey,

I purchased an Edirol M-16dx. I used it for a while, and all was well. However after I switched wich USB port it was connected to, and moved it, a sort of ringing distortion (see recording) occurs qute frequently (but not continually) on playback from the computer. Other channels are not affected. I have not tested wether it's present on recordings yet, but I will as soon as I have time.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I've tried reinstalling the drivers, a factory reset, updating the firmware to v2, increasing the audio buffer size as well as moving the output module to another location (I had initially put it on top of one of my monitors and thought that might be interfering).

Recording: (The distortion changes nature around 43 seconds, and ends around 1 minute 3 seconds, so you can hear what the audio is supposed to sound like)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/66674779c34335b4/
dbijoux

Re: Ringing distortion in Edirol M-16DX

Post by dbijoux »

That is really strange. Definitely sounds like some digital artifacting, as it's almost musical(err, follows the tune). I was not sure at first if it really was an instrument distorting up there; until it disappeared, obviously.

I'm not sure what would cause that.... I've heard some similar patterns in what I think was corrupted audio files and not as similar digital noise when amplifying my noise floor.

Did you try plugging it back into the old port? It definitely seems like a digital error somewhere.
Villi

Post by Villi »

Yeah I did, and the problem disappeared. Appearantly the Edirol doesn't play nice with the built in usb ports of my motherboard, whilst the front ports works fine. Strange.

I'll poke around the usb settings in bios I guess, and even if I can't make it work, the front usb ports work, so not a massive problem.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi Villi!

I have encountered this very same issue when trying to listen to audio on the net while using Cakewalk Sonar PE 8.5. and believe it to be an M16DX 'driver' conflict. My solution? . . . I just don't listen to audio on the net and run Sonar at the same time.

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Please listen to 'Pirates' done entirely on the Fantom X8

PiaKnow
Turbojet

Post by Turbojet »

I wouldn't blame EDIROL for this so quickly. It is well known issue among PC audio users that not all USB ports on the same motherboard are created equal for audio use.

If the one you picked works, don't change it!.

Cheers,

George Solo
http://musicline.ca
http://georgesolo.com
EZX12

Post by EZX12 »

Have you tried "clearing" your USB ports? (...and allowing Windows to "reassign" each external USB device one at a time, after "clearing" the ports?)

FYI: Before doing this, detach all USB devices, except for your mouse. After rebooting, you will momentarily lose the ability to use your mouse, until Windows automatically re-associates the device back to the USB port it is plugged into. (Give it a moment to "auto-recognize" the "new" hardware plugged into that USB port). I then plugged in each subsequent device, one at a time, and Windows "reinstalled" the device associated with that port. (I did not have to re-provide the driver file location... with the exception of ONE device).

If you've been plugging and unplugging various devices to different USB ports, this MAY help. Thereafter, you might want to "limit" your USB port swapping (i.e., keep the same devices plugged into the same ports where possible).

Specifically see "METHOD 3" in the Microsoft KB article (below), which describes the USB port "clearing" process. (Use at your own risk. If it doesn't work, please yell at Microsoft. If it DOES work, send me beer):

See "Method 3: Disable and re-enable the USB controller"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

--- EZX12

P.S. ONE MORE THING! Try turning off "Power Management" on the USB Root Hub that is causing you grief. Go to Device Manager, right click the applicable USB Root Hub, click the Power Management tab, and UN-CHECK the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Good luck figuring out which USB Root Hub is associated with the port being used by your M-16DX. Note that this will likely prevent you from using your PC's "standby" mode.