Micro BR Acoustic Electric Clipping Issue

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Nicole

Micro BR Acoustic Electric Clipping Issue

Post by Nicole »

Hey there. Recently purchased a Micro BR, and the problem that I have is worrisome as I'm not sure if it's a normal occurrence or a defect. The issue is that whenever I plug my acoustic-electric guitar in, and use the Guitar input...there is immediate noise and distortion with clipping and the "Over" light comes on. This is with input and volume levels very low, and happens even if I gently strum one string, The weird thing is that I recorded my acoustic-electric guitar on the BR this way a few times and it sounded fine, but the sound quality seemed to decline after a while and now sounds horrible. I thought I might have damaged the unit, but I plugged my regular electric guitar in and it sounds just fine...it's just the acoustic electric for some reason. Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated, as I am wondering if I need to return it. Thanks a lot!
dbijoux

Re: Micro BR Acoustic Electric Clipping Issue

Post by dbijoux »

It sounds like your acoustic electric is overloading the inputs, for sure.

It's definitely not normal, but would be expected if say you plugged an electric guitar(Hi-Z) into a mic input(Low-Z) since there is a pretty big difference in resistance/voltage. What's funny is that your regular electric guitar is fine. That makes me think you haven't inadvertently switched the input to Ext Mic or worse Ext Mic w/power.

Could it be your acoustic or maybe it has a preamp/volume control? I don't think you'd fry the BR, but can't imagine it's good for it either.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

If there's nothing wrong with your BR or guitar, one solution might be a Direct(DI) box with adjustable levels. They aren't so expensive and will come in handy if you ever wanted to add a bass to your mix. It could also eliminate any noise problems from your guitar and ground loops.
Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Thanks for the response. I have adjusted all of the volume levels (preamp on the guitar and the BR itself) to a minimum (literally, where I can barely hear anything) -- and it still makes a terrible noise. Is it somehow bad to use an acoustic with a built in preamp with the BR?

I've double checked that I'm using the correct input selection. I have also tried different chords and tested the guitar on other equipment to ensure that wasn't the issue. I am at a loss as to what is wrong...especially since my electric sounds just fine. Thank you for the input. I emailed Boss support but am not sure what else they can tell me. I don't see how I could have fried it...
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Welcome, to the forum also. Maybe BOSS support has had some experience with this in particular and can offer some 'official' advice. I don't have a BR so it's a bit of a mystery to me too; I didn't realize it was actually that small. A direct box might dwarf it, but it could possibly be the preamp in your guitar is more than it expects(leaving the question of why it worked before).

An active DI with multiple(-10, -20, -30db) attenuation would certainly lower the signal. A passive DI is about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost and could work as well. Both have the advantage of removing line noise/ground loops, but obviously adding more gear/cables to your micro rig.

Hope you can sort it out.
frei2003

Post by frei2003 »

Hi! I have the reverse problem. When I connect my Takamine to the micro br, the input level is too low, even if I set input and sns to maximum. It's the same with my piezo pickup, my magnetic soundhole pickup, with and without the preamp. I get even more input at LIN input though it requires a level of -10dBu and not -20dBu like the GIT input. When I connect to EXT, I have enough input. Can anyone test this on their micro br, please, and let me know?

@Nicole:
try batteries, if you use the ext. power supply

try to connect to line in, not to git