MD-16DX Owners advise needed - MD-16DX Digital Mixer

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
PauloF

MD-16DX Owners advise needed - MD-16DX Digital Mixer

Post by PauloF »

I have a Behringer 1204 FX mixer, but its number of inputs are no longer suiting me, so I'm looking for a replacement, a 16 Input (minimum) mixer.
The logical alternative would be to go for a mixer with more inputs and a t least one ALT bus (that I use for recording, together with the UA-25EX audio Capture), but they are all very expensive...

I've been reading about the Edirol MD-16DX Mixer, and its functions seem to be exactly what I need, but before I take a decision, I would like to have owners opinions about this.

Please give me your input,
Thanks in advance
PauloF
I AM

Re: MD-16DX Owners advise needed - MD-16DX Digital Mixer

Post by I AM »

if audio interface is not critical for you, my advice is to buy analog mixer... i use mackie and for me it's nearly perfect, it adds some colour when audio passes it, but i like that colour as for me it's something warm and analog(well, it's analog mixer).... and it's very handy

i use this one and it has 4 auxes

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MAC1642VLZIII
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hummm, Very nice mixer. After reading the specs, it is much more powerful than the MD-16DX:
- 16 Real Input channels (they don't count the AUX in's as Mixer inputs, like in the MD)
- 8 Channel Inserts
- 8 Direct Outputs
- 4 Stereo Sub Groups
- 4 band EQ
- etc

Very good tip I AM !!! thanks
I found a local dealer, so let's see the price of it...

Cheers
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hummm... The Mackie is very expensive !! even more than the MD-16DX !!

In fact the Audio Interface is not critical for me, but the Audio capture function is.
The Mackie doesn't have a USB or Firewire interface to connect the DAW and the MD-16DX does.

Any Advise from the MD-16DX owners ? how is this thing used as DAW Audio capture device ?
Any impressions ?
Piaknow, I know that you have one of these... ;-)

Thanks in advance
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey PauloF!

You are right! I do have an M-16DX! ;-)

I don't feel that I use it to it's full potential, but for my purposes, I love it!! (and the price is right; a huge value, in my estimation.)

All of my modules are connected through this mixer to Sonar 8.5 PE and audio capture has never been simpler! All of the chaanels show up in Sonar, both mono and stereo. I can simply choose which channel(s) I wish to record or choose to record the master output. Version 2.0 comes with templates for your favorite DAW, as you can use it as a control surface for a software mixer. It also has a 16 scene memory.

In my studio, I am a 'set it an leave it' musician! For my set-up, it has been worth every penny! Highly recommended!

Disclaimer - I might not know what I'm talking about!! LOL

Cheers and Happy New Year, PauloF!
PiaKnowGuy
Please listen to 'Pirates' done entirely on the Fantom X8

PiaKnow
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

I also have an MD-16DX but I really don't think it will suit this application.
It's great for me as I wanted a mixer for my guitar performance rack that I can connect to a PC with a single cable, and the two-box format appeals to me amongst other things.
But bear in mind that it has an Alt bus but this cannot be recorded directly; of the 16 inputs, 12 are fixed in stereo pairs; one of those pairs is sacrificed for the internal FX return; one pair must be sacrificed for monitoring the stereo signal from the DAW; mic amps are OK but probably not as good as those in the Behringer mixer and certainly the stepped nature of the gain pots is an annoyance.
I would just get a bigger Behringer, and keep the existing audio capture device.
I AM

Post by I AM »

behringers are said to be very noisy... and i've got mackie for $900 or something similar...
my advice is to buy analog mixer as it adds some analogue warmth, and mackie has a huge headroom... i believe cheap digital mixers are not very good.... maybe not mackie... something else, but analogue...
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

But bear in mind that it has an Alt bus but this cannot be recorded directly; of the 16 inputs, 12 are fixed in stereo pairs; one of those pairs is sacrificed for the internal FX return; one pair must be sacrificed for monitoring the stereo signal from the DAW; mic amps are OK but probably not as good as those in the Behringer mixer and certainly the stepped nature of the gain pots is an annoyance.

I agree with Nik on this one! In re-reading your original post, PauloF, I'm thinking that you may need to look at a different product to suit your purposes. I missed the
a 16 Input (minimum) mixer
phrase. I do want to clarify that the M-16DX is an awesome digital mixer at a very managable price point for a musician on a budget like myself! =)

PiaKnowGuy
Please listen to 'Pirates' done entirely on the Fantom X8

PiaKnow
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Your'e right... I said 16 minimum, because I have a false 12 Input, which in fact is an 8 Input Mixer + the AUX RET 1 and 2, which can be used as separate inputs, however with less options (no ALT 3/4 Bus).

Even taking into consideration what Nik said, in fact the MD-16DX suits me fine regarding the number of inputs it has, so let's see...

channels 1,2 and 3,4 will be for my Drum machines (2) - I have only one at the moment, the new will be the Fantom G's ;-)
Channels 5/6 = future use - Fantom G, for example ;-)
Channels 7/8 = Xa "A" Out
Channels 9/10 = SonicCell Out
Channels 11/12 = V-Synth XT Digital Out

The big advantage of using this Mixer will be the ability to interface with DAWs and to have up to 16 channels simultaneous recording, which no other Mixer in this price range will allow. At the moment I'm using the ALT Bus and an Audio capture device (2 tracks at once only).

The only thing that I don't like about the MD-16DX are the Volume knobs...they should have used faders (motorized would be a big add on, due to the Scenes and Memory features included, but well...we can't have everything, can't we ? )

The Mackie (€700,00) won't give me more than 2 tracks at a time (like my Behringer), and even the coming Firewire model does not support more than 2 tracks at a time anyway, and costs about €900,00...which are both out of my reach...

Anyway, thank you very much for your help and input on this, I AM, Nik and Piaknowguy.

I'll tell you what I decided (if I decide anything...) ;-)
take care
PauloF
I AM

Post by I AM »

good luck in your decision, PauloF !
the last thing i want to say is that sometimes it's better to pay a little more but to buy something that you'll use for a long time.... and look wider, i'm sure that there's more options to suite your needs than those, disscussed in this topic..... take care!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

@I AM,
Look wider is a good tip !! (for almost everything in life )
I'm sure they are other option yes, and that's exactly what I'll be doing...
Cheers