my new EDIROL M-16DX, is buggy or it's me?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
mmontev

my new EDIROL M-16DX, is buggy or it's me?

Post by mmontev »

Hi,
Have a new EDIROL M-16DX since yesterday.
No luck with the test that plays a test tune from the PC over USB. I can see active the 13/14 signals on the console display. The 13/14 USB button is on (red). But I cannot get sound trough the headphones.
The point is, the "MUTE MAIN MIX" button is always tilting and I can't turn it off. Whatever the time I press the button it continues to flash and never unmute the main mix.
I tried a factory reset, with no luck.
Am I proceeding wrong or is a bug?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Martin
teubank

Re: my new EDIROL M-16DX, is buggy or it's me?

Post by teubank »

Mute main mix flashes when a channel is soloed.

I am testing the 13/14 channel problem on XP away from my Vista POS,
Turbojet

Post by Turbojet »

Martin,
I hope you managed to solve the problem by now.
I just got my M-16DX yesterday, and I had the same issue.

The explanation was very simple (but hard to believe, though...)

Apparently, you CAN NOT get the sound from computer (Ch 13/14) just to headphones... Here's what I found on the Roland's website:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Muting the MAIN MIX While Monitoring Audio Through Headphones.
Knowledge Base ID: 104897
Product: m16dx m16 m-16dx m-16 m 16 m 16dx

In the M-16DX, it's possible to route channels 1-12 to the HEADPHONES/CONTROL ROOM outputs while bypassing the MAIN MIX. This is useful if you need to mute your speakers while recording audio with a microphone in the same room.

1. Press the MUTE(ALT) button for each channel so that the buttons are in the down position; these buttons are located directly above each channel's LEVEL knob.

2. Press the [ALT] button above the PHONES/CTRL ROOM volume knob so it's in the down position.
Note: Be sure that the MAIN MIX [ALT] button is NOT in the down position.

This routes each channel (1-12) directly to the headphones and CONTROL ROOM outputs--and not out of the MAIN MIX. If you would like to listen to the inputs through the MAIN MIX again while in this mode, press the [ALT] button (above the MAIN MIX volume knob) so that it's in the down position.

Note: Channels 13L/14R and 15L/16R will output their signal to the MAIN MIX, CONTROL ROOM, AND HEADPHONES at all times. It's not possible to route these channels to the headphones only.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The last sentence sounds unbelievable, I know....
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

CHannels 13/14 and 15/16 are labeled as Aux Returns. They don't have Mute or Alt switching functions. This is fairly normal for small to medium format mixers. Go look at a Mackie or a Behringer or similar. ANd it's also clear i n the manual that there is no Mute or Alt routing facility on these channels on the control surface or on the block diagram.
Turbojet

Post by Turbojet »

Nik, I agree with what you're saying. There are two major differences between M-16DX and, let's say a small Mackie mixer (I've got an old 1202) though: Mackie has a separate (read: paralel) Master and Phones volume controls.

On a Mackie, I can route any source to any channel - on M-16DX, I can have sound from computer only on Ch.13/14.

Now not having alt switch on 13/14 wouldn't be a big deal if I had an option to route sound received via USB from computer to another channels (with Alt option), but you can't.

As result, in terms of DAW recording, it seems impossible to record one track using a microphone while listening the pre-recorded tracks from DAW in headphones only.

Therefore, you have to have Main MIx volume up in order to hear the sound from computer in your headphones... ????
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

I see your point.
But I never thought of that as a problem. I just switch my monitors off.
teubank

Post by teubank »

check your solo buttons. That is usually the problem
EZX12

Post by EZX12 »

Turbojet:

Did you ever find a satisfactory resolution to your problem? (i.e. monitoring PC "return" via Headphones, without having Main Mix sent to speakers)

(BTW... I appreciate the reference to the Roland knowledgebase!)

So... is the "quick and dirty" solution to simply turn off your monitors? ...or did you find some other creative alternative? (I would love to hear your work-around, if you've discovered one).

--- EZX12