MIDI Patchbay Misery

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Andy Keys

MIDI Patchbay Misery

Post by Andy Keys »

Hello,

I've got an 8x8 MIDI patchbay to sort out my synths and MIDI controllers, but I'm running out of inputs.

Is it possible to "double up" synths to a single MIDI IN/OUT of the patchbay to free up some slots?

I understand that each MIDI IN/OUT can control up to 16 MIDI channels, so obviously, something like the Fantom X would need a whole socket to itself as it uses all 16 channels; however, could I put say a D-110 (max 9 multitimbral channels) and an SH-32 (max 4 multitimbral channels) on the same Patchbay socket? They use a maximum of less than 16 channels between them, so the D-110 could be set to transmit and receive on channels 1-9 and the SH-32 to use channels 10-13, for example.

If so, could it be done using THRU or would I need a MIDI Merger?

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Andy
I AM

Re: MIDI Patchbay Misery

Post by I AM »

i think it's ok to use midi thru.... but not too many synths in one chain... 2 synths is ok
S-E-A

Post by S-E-A »

Can't see a problem with that.
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I do this with little to no problems at all. I use a MOTU MIDI Express 128 and sometimes I hang 2 or more synths off one out using the thru. The only real problem is with every link in the chain you introduce more latency.

Just pick the right synth on the furthest connection. Like slight latency on a string pad is going to be far less noticable than a drum sample.

But for inputs you would need a merger. MIDI's a one way street.