Boss BR-600 [Vocal] Pitch Correction problem

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Retief

Boss BR-600 [Vocal] Pitch Correction problem

Post by Retief »

I recently purchased a BR-600, and for the life of me, and after having followed the directions in the manual to-the-letter, have had no luck using the Pitch Correction patches, i.e. they have zero effect on a pre-recorded vocal track. Other patches (Mic, Guitar, et al) all work fine.

Now, I'm not new to Roland gear: Over the years I've owned and used a VS-880, VS-1680 and VS-2480, as well as various drum machines (4-5 different Roland units), synths and other stuff. I can find my way around my Roland gear fairly well, despite the sometimes cryptic instruction manuals. But this issue baffles me.

Has ANYONE out there ever gotten the Pitch Correction patches to work on a pre-recorded vocal track on their BR-600? If so, did you follow the instructions in the manual verbatim, or was there some other/undocumented step you had to take?
TheOtherEric

Re: Boss BR-600 [Vocal] Pitch Correction problem

Post by TheOtherEric »

I don't have a 600 but I've used it on the 1600. I see you are Roland savvy so please don't mind this basic question, but: Are you bouncing the pitchy track to another track or vtrack while pitch correcting? The original track/vtrack will not be affected by the process. The pitch corrected vocal will be on the new track (or vtrack).

Eric
Retief

Post by Retief »

The manual says:

- Before using pitch correction, record a solo vocal track to work with.
- Press [REC MODE] several times until the BOUNCE indicator lights up.
- Confirm that [PAD] is not lit, then press [PITCH CORRECTION].
- Press CURSOR [ ] [ ] to move the cursor to “LOCAT,” and press [ENTER].
- Use TIME/VALUE dial to select the track containing the solo vocal recording.
- Start playback on the BR-600. Pitches will be corrected in the solo vocal part as it is played. Listen to the part to confirm that it is now completely in tune, and if necessary, adjust the volume of the part using the corresponding track fader.

I performed all of these steps and the pitches of my previously-recorded vocal track did not change at all despite the manual's assertion that "Pitches will now be corrected in the solo vocal part." The manual goes on to say that I should bounce the solo vocal to another track. I did that as well, without any apparent pitch correction.

So, I must be doing something stupid, but I'm baffled as to what it is ...
TheOtherEric

Post by TheOtherEric »

The only thing I can suggest, then, is try the different patches and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps the 600 patch isn't detecting the pitch? Maybe the Soprano patch will work where the tenor doesn't?

If nobody on this board has a 600 then try bossbr.net (the baord has changed from a br board to a songwriters board but there are a number of people there who have 600's).

Sorry I can't help more. My 1600 pitch correction works ok for me using the instructions in the manual.

Eric
Retief

Post by Retief »

Well, I got it to work by really singing out-of-key and choosing baritone or tenor. What I was expecting was something like AutoTune. However, Roland's pitch correction effect isn't really as dramatic as AT.

Anyway, thanks for your help.