BR-1200cd Question (newby here)

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
agent2x4

BR-1200cd Question (newby here)

Post by agent2x4 »

Hello all, and thank you for this forum!

I recently bought a BR1200, and was wondering how to activate the track selector pads so they work as drum pads? The manual (as far as I can tell) doesn't specifically address it, and the buttons I had on the BR864 (The "pad" button) doesn't seem to exist on the 1200 unless I'm too old and blind to see it.

Also, the drum CD that came with the unit...is that just a backup for the drum sounds already built in to the unit, or are they totally separate and different from what's already inside?

Thanks in advance folks!

Bob R
SammyJames

Re: BR-1200cd Question (newby here)

Post by SammyJames »

Hey man:

Well, after having been all over the Intertubes trying to find the answer, the only thing that I can report is that it might not work in the way that you described. Sound on Sound magazine points to the existence of some pads that supposedly let you do what you are hoping to do, but they didn't explain how. The Roland site has a document that cites a rhythm and a bass track for your product - but doesn't specifically state that you can play the drums in any fashion -- something that you yourself have already explained.

I suspect that the patterns aren't fully-programmable. There is a certain amount of flexibility -- the demos that I saw on YouTube show different instruments as being availiable to solo (like the hi-hats or the kick and snare) but there seems to be no way to directly play the sounds.

The CD of which you wrote probably contains either drum patterns that you can load into the unit, or audio drum loops, or both. Using these may give you some more variations, but it does seem like a bit of a bummer if you can't actually record your own drum parts.

I would seriously email Roland Tech Support and ask them directly whether what you are hoping to do is possible. I hate to tell you to forward your question to them, because I wish that I had the definitive answer. However, I'm absolutely sure that they will be able to tell you for certain what the answer is.

Take care.

- Sammy
agent2x4

Post by agent2x4 »

Thank you for your answer. All I want to use them for is to throw in a few cymbal crashes or ad lib a turnaround during the bounce process.

Foolish me...I thought this was a Roland related site, lol

Once again, thank you for taking the time.

Bob R
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Bob:

Well, what you are trying to do is relatively easy. Go to YouTube and enter "BR 1200 CD." There are tons of great tutorial vids there. I specifically remember having seen someone showing you how to enter different phrases on the rhythm track.

I was simply saying that if you wanted a more direct answer about your specific question, email tech support. Almost everyone here on this site has a ton of information to give -- it's just that Roland makes and has made about a kabillion different products. We aren't being paid by Roland here -- we're just a community (mostly) of aritsts and musicians, much like yourself. I simply have lots of free time because I'm disabled, so I try my best to help others when and where I can.

:)

Enjoy.

- Sammy