Good roland MIDI controller?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
mrjuno60

Good roland MIDI controller?

Post by mrjuno60 »

So the midi controllers Roland has are the A-800 pro and A-500S.

Are either of these worth the pricetag? I heard some horror stories regarding the aftertouch.

I need something that'll be functional and last for a long time.

Or... any other suggestions for a good [Roland] controller? Preferably equipped with USB as I want to conserve MIDI ports for *synths* that need them.

I was thinking of an M-Audio one... but I *HATE* the cheap rounded plastic look those things have. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's silver painted plastic.
PauloF

Re: Good roland MIDI controller?

Post by PauloF »

mrjuno60 wrote:So the midi controllers Roland has are the A-800 pro and A-500S.

Are either of these worth the pricetag? I heard some horror stories regarding the aftertouch.

I need something that'll be functional and last for a long time.

Or... any other suggestions for a good [Roland] controller? Preferably equipped with USB as I want to conserve MIDI ports for *synths* that need them.

I was thinking of an M-Audio one... but I *HATE* the cheap rounded plastic look those things have. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's silver painted plastic.
I'm answering this too late but...
I have a A-800 Pro and a PCR-500 and IMHO they are very nice for their price.
The PCR being an older model but more flexible when it comes to MIDI control of external gear, as it has a fully manual programmable split function (split, Dual or single) compared to the A-800 pro that are has a fixed split function for the lower part.

Regarding the Aftertouch "horror" stories, I have no idea what they are talking about, as from my experience, they are very controllable and reliable.

If you want a Super Roland midi controller, try to buy a second hand A-70 or A-90
Other option would be an RD-300/700 series stage pianos, maybe you could get one cheap and they are awesome midi controllers with serious keybeds.