Roland Quad Capture Question/Experiences SPDIF

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
2:43AM

Roland Quad Capture Question/Experiences SPDIF

Post by 2:43AM »

I am experiencing some weird SPDIF crackling on my digital connection between my V-synth XT and my current audio interface, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. I wrote about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31119&p=246002#p246002

Rather than double post, I encourage you to please read this post before continuing. I want to know if anyone else is having aforementioned issues with their SPDIF connections on other interfaces, specifically Roland units such as the Quad Capture. Perhaps the Roland units are more compatible and play nicer with other Roland gear.

Let me know what you guys think. I suppose it's worth a shot to buy the Quad capture and try it out. I just fear it will be another dead-end street in terms of achieving low latency, using ASIO instead of WDM and also using the SPDIF connections without worry of clicking, crackling and random popping.
2:43AM

Re: Roland Quad Capture Question/Experiences SPDIF

Post by 2:43AM »

It's amazing how many members are in this forum yet it seems so lifeless.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

2:43AM wrote:It's amazing how many members are in this forum yet it seems so lifeless.
Seem is the right word ;-)
Maybe no one here has the same combination you have, so it will be a little odd to give opinions about.

In my particular case, completely different from you, I've used the v-Synth's digital input connected to a DR-880 Drum machine output with awesome results ( no crickets). Just gave up using it due to the fact that I don't own the DR any more

Cheers,
PauloF
florin2013

Post by florin2013 »

in digital audio, one of the hardware must be master and the other slave.
that means, that the slave is getting the digital clock (44,1/48K/96Khz, etc) from a source, the master.
if you have to record from v-synth to the focusrite, focusrite should be put to slave on digital input.
otherwise, you should wire V-Synth SPDIF Input to the Focusrite SPDIF Output, and set V-Synth to external spdif clock.
I use a chain..
My Fantom-X7 is the master.
My VM3100 mixer is set to slave and getting the clock from Fantom-X7.
The VM3100 is sending 2 digital signals.
The master thru optical spdif out to my monitors , DS7 Roland, and the DS-7 are slave.
And spdif RCA as recording option, to the focusrite 14, and the soundcard is set to slave.
I have other gears wired to my VM mixer, so if I want to record something, I just let them get out thru the SPDIF RCA BUS (on/off bus, not send).
All works great.
So Fantom is master and vm slave, but vm will become master for DS7 and Focusrite.

The Fantom, is routed to thru VM spdif output bus if I want to record..
So the tip is to set a master clock.
if the V-Synth and the focusrite are ether master, ether slave, both of them, none will be master-slave or slave-master.
Now, I don't know the V-Synth, but my Fantom-X7, has only 44,1Khz digital clock (24bit).
So if you want to set a project in 48Khz, the digital in wil refuze, or record pitched signal (below I think..)
So Set the project to 24bit (it is worthing) and 44100Hz, set the V-Synth as master, and the Focusrite as slave, and.. get inspired ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

florin2013 wrote:in digital audio, one of the hardware must be master and the other slave.
that means, that the slave is getting the digital clock (44,1/48K/96Khz, etc) from a source, the master.
if you have to record from v-synth to the focusrite, focusrite should be put to slave on digital input.
otherwise, you should wire V-Synth SPDIF Input to the Focusrite SPDIF Output, and set V-Synth to external spdif clock.
I use a chain..
My Fantom-X7 is the master.
My VM3100 mixer is set to slave and getting the clock from Fantom-X7.
The VM3100 is sending 2 digital signals.
The master thru optical spdif out to my monitors , DS7 Roland, and the DS-7 are slave.
And spdif RCA as recording option, to the focusrite 14, and the soundcard is set to slave.
I have other gears wired to my VM mixer, so if I want to record something, I just let them get out thru the SPDIF RCA BUS (on/off bus, not send).
All works great.
So Fantom is master and vm slave, but vm will become master for DS7 and Focusrite.

The Fantom, is routed to thru VM spdif output bus if I want to record..
So the tip is to set a master clock.
if the V-Synth and the focusrite are ether master, ether slave, both of them, none will be master-slave or slave-master.
Now, I don't know the V-Synth, but my Fantom-X7, has only 44,1Khz digital clock (24bit).
So if you want to set a project in 48Khz, the digital in wil refuze, or record pitched signal (below I think..)
So Set the project to 24bit (it is worthing) and 44100Hz, set the V-Synth as master, and the Focusrite as slave, and.. get inspired ;)
Just to add on to what you posted, florin2013, on my actual setup, the V-Synth XT OUT being used is the SPDIF and also used as a Master clock driving the presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL board, with no clicks, Pops or squeaks.

The XT supports 44.1k, 48k and 96k clock speeds, but shares it with the sampling