Guide: How to use Roland VS 700 Fantom VS in 64 bit Windows

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Macska

Guide: How to use Roland VS 700 Fantom VS in 64 bit Windows

Post by Macska »

Hello everyone,

After 2 months of frustration trying to figure this out a little bit at a time, along with Roland and Cakewalk customer support telling me I must have a faulty unit and they can't help, I sat down and figured out what was wrong with my Fantom VS setup. Looking online many people have a similar problem when using the Fantom VS editor plugin in a 64 bit Windows setting. Here is how to fix it:

The problem:

The Fantom VS editor plugin will load in Sonar, and the Keyboard window will show that it is receiving midi data, but you will not hear any sound.

The solution:

1. IMPORTANT! - Download and install all updates to your hardware, drivers, and software from this website-

http://www.cakewalk.com/Download/hwdriv ... Studio+700

(Note, in many cases it seems these updates fixed the problem for people, for me and some others that was not the case, which is why I am posting this guide)

2. Turn on your VS-700 I/O and Console as well if you have one. Start your DAW, in my case SONAR X3.

3. Insert the Fantom VS Soft Synth. In the insert soft synth options dialog window do the following:

-Uncheck "Simple Instrument Track"
-Check "Midi Source"
-Check "All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo"
-Check "Synth Property Page" if it isn't already checked.

4. In the newly created Fantom VS Audio Track change the Audio In to "VS-700, Stereo Fantom VS"

5. In the newly created Fantom VS Midi Track change the Midi Out to "Fantom VS (VS-700)" NOT the "Fantom VS-1"

6. Turn on the Input echoe on both the Audio and Midi Track.

And it should work! You can select and edit sounds in the Editor window, and you can set up a midi controller for the Midi Input on the midi track. And now you have access to that wonderful Fantom Rack that before may have sadly sat unused. Enjoy!
Macska

Re: Guide: How to use Roland VS 700 Fantom VS in 64 bit Wind

Post by Macska »

Ok so this is going to make me sound REALLY stupid lol, but I realized in the Pre-amp of the VS 700 editor I had never turned up the volume of the Fantom VS...

So an easier fix- Open the VS Editor and turn up the volume for the Fantom L and R.

It makes sense that the Tech support never walked me through trying that because it's so obvious.