Edirol M-16DX Terrible Sound Quality

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
jeeby

Edirol M-16DX Terrible Sound Quality

Post by jeeby »

Hey all,

I bought one of these mixers second hand recently, and trying to use it in my studio setup. It's in perfect condition, seems like it was hardly used to be honest.

A problem I'm having is that the sound quality from the headphone jack is terrible. When I plug my synth (or iphone playing music is the same) into the mixer and monitor through headphones, it loses much of the dynamic range and quality of the sound. It sounds really flat, and noisy.

I've tried playing with EQs etc but doesn't seem to help - I can't get the quality sounding anywhere near what it does directly through the device.

Unfortunately I don't have speakers to test if the mixer output is okay, so i'm stuck with just the headphones.

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue before, and can offer some pointers on how i can troubleshoot and hopefully fix the issue.

Cheers
Greg
jeeby

Re: Edirol M-16DX Terrible Sound Quality

Post by jeeby »

OK.. I guess nobody knows this mixer, or cares to respond.

I spent a bit of time trying to figure it out, and here is what I found:
- Both the headphone out and the Control Room outputs send a mono (and rather flat-sounding) signal
- Graphic EQ effects these outputs, but balance does not
- I can route the output from the main out of the mixer to headphones, and this works as expected

I guess I'll just work this way while I only need one sound output, but if i ever wanted to use this mixer to both output sound to speakers or a system, and use the headphone or control room monitors, it just wouldn't work very well.

Does anyone know if this is by design, or if there's some type of setting that may affect the CR and Headphone out, or if my unit is faulty?