HP203 digital piano: MIDI output too low

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
carpincho

HP203 digital piano: MIDI output too low

Post by carpincho »

Trying to use HP203 as a MIDI output device, I ran into problems with extremely low velocity of MIDI notes.

I’ve tried different connection types: the piano’s USB output to a computer’s USB slot, the piano’s MIDI OUT to MIDI IN of an external audio interface or an internal sound card.

I’ve also tried different DAWs: Cubase and Cakewalk on Windows PC, Logic Pro on a Mac.

The issue is always the same exactly: when I play the piano as usual (no matter in recording or passthrough mode), its sound is barely audible in the DAW, and velocity of the notes hardly gets above 30-40. Since the problem is the same with different devices and software, I think there’s something wrong with the HP203 itself.

The volume knob on the piano’s front panel doesn’t affect MIDI output, and Master Gain setting doesn’t help as well.

I can adjust the controllers in the DAW to make the sound louder, but this is not what I want, because it doesn’t solve the problem of MIDI events’ numerical velocity. When I play mp, I expect the velocities be some 65-70; when I play fff, they may be over 120.

Do you know how to put MIDI output levels in order?