SH-201: What's the latest news?

Forum for SH-201
The Box Drone

SH-201: What's the latest news?

Post by The Box Drone »

Specifically, when is it supposed to come out again?

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
birdy123

Re: SH-201: What's the latest news?

Post by birdy123 »

I got mine delivered yesterday. I live in Japan though so I guess it can't be long till it reaches the US and Europe. I was supposed to get it delivered at the beginning of April but it was delayed by almost two months here in Japan.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

"I got mine delivered yesterday"
What's your impression so far? Is it worth having in addition to the V-Synth?

regards, Hugo
Jim Stout

Post by Jim Stout »

Hugo.

The SH-201 sounds really good! It has a more aggressive sound than the analog section of the V or the JP-8000. I think it would make a great addition to the V-synth.

The other great feature is the external input which can be used as an oscillator or have it's own dedicated filter section.

Let's not forget that the USB is an audio and MIDI interface.
Oh yea, VSTi support too.

Jim Stout
Roland US
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Jim, but at NAMM we heard Tony and Mike saying that the 201 has the V-Synth's analog modeling section. Is the aggressiveness caused by that new saturation stage?
Jim Stout

Post by Jim Stout »

It has the same waveforms but it's missing the cross mod osc. It does have a dedicated "overdrive" button located in the AMP section of the 201 and it gives it a really nice edge to the sound. I would have chosen the word "saturation" instead of "overdrive" but, what can you do? One thing I noticed while tweaking on the synth was that I couldn't make a bad sound. It's extremely easy to make FAT basses and ripping leads on this thing. As far as it being just the modeling section of the V-Synth, I would say "kind of". I think of it as it's own synth with legendary Roland waveforms. When you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Jim Stout
Roland US
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

The more I hear about it, the more I want one!

I can't wait!

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Cool Jim, thanks very much for this info!
8poundstar

Post by 8poundstar »

Pretty Cheap 2.
BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog »

in the UK dv247 say they can get them in 5 days.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/31492/
Rogles

Post by Rogles »

It would be nice to hear some demo mp3s or something. I'm curious what it sounds like. Is there anything out besides the NAMM video?
Rogles

Post by Rogles »

edit: double post
birdy123

Post by birdy123 »

I'm not overly impressed by the SH-201 sound. I find that the JP8080 has a far better sound to it. I have never heard the V-synths analog section so I can't give a comparison. The overdrive can make some real angry sounds though which i like. However, in defence of the 201 it's USB integration makes the Virus TI look amateaur, it is really easy to make sounds and fun at the same time, some of the arps are cool and for what you are getting it is really cheap.

Oh and the presets suck and there is not enough space set aside to store your own patches.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10.
true

Post by true »

Do you feel extremely limited by its sound capablities?

The fact that Roland gave it such a low amount of user presets and patches makes it sort of a gimmick synth TOY in my mind to rack up a few quick bucks.

Also the market price of a used Vsynth is quite low and the prices are dropping for a new one. I don't think the Vsynth is that hot of a product. I see more people selling than buying.
anti_pulse

Post by anti_pulse »

That doesn't make sense buddy- cause if it was sold, than it had to have been bought... you understand how that works.. you know... like when somebody sells you something, you have bought it? Ok, just making sure. One thing is for sure... at any given moment, you can go on ebay and find an assload more people selling their viruses than V's. I know the production ratio is a little different so what I just said doesn't really fly, but I'm apt to believe that more people keep the v's than people keep viruses.

Used market price looks the same to me... a few years ago, they went for 1200 to 1400 used, and I see alot of the same thing going on. The new market for v's is a whole other story though... down the drain.

http://www.myspace.com/11505663