Sh 201 Problem

Forum for SH-201
paradox1509

Sh 201 Problem

Post by paradox1509 »

lo peeps,
can anyone shed some light on this problem:
when i press a button on the synth e.g. overdrive, it doesnt show up that i have pressed it in the editor. I have to press read in the editor for it to be activated, although when i press the button in the editor it changes on the synth. Knob movements are no problem.
thx for any help
MuzikB

Re: Sh 201 Problem

Post by MuzikB »

Refer to page 69 of the manual under section Midi Parameters, part "Transmit Switch."

Turn on all 4 Transmit Switch parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Not everyone understands House Music...........
paradox1509

Post by paradox1509 »

sorted! thx... best thing i have done in yrs musically is buy this synth it has all the sounds i need for bass n pads and is perfect for old skool techno/electro! I highly recommend it.
Krokodilen

Post by Krokodilen »

Hi paradox1509,

I'm into old school too. Vangelis, Jarre and that sort of thing. In your opinion does the 201 suffice in that area or do I have to spend an arm and a leg on a v-synth?
Is any of your 201 work available for listening/download?

Thanx.
paradox1509

Post by paradox1509 »

lo m8
to be honest ive not really listened to much jarre etc.. although i am sure it will be adequate, dark n moody. It is a great synth i could do some samples if you let me know what you would like to hear. In regards to v-synth, I cant help u there. I would say for £425 its great value. Buy It!
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Jarre had such a variety of synths that you will be unable to recreate a lot of his sounds with just the SH-201 alone. As an example, in track 2 of Equinoxe he uses an awesome phaser effect. Such a sound would be impossible to duplicate on the SH-201.

I am planning on picking up an SH-201, but I also have a V-Synth XT and Fantom X-8. I could probably get most of the Jarre sounds going with those 3 instruments, but there will be nuances which will be very hard to emulate. That said, I've pretty much given up on trying to emulate artist's sounds and would rather invent my own. For one thing it is easier, and for another, it is more original. Sure, Jarre is one of my largest influences, but I certainly don't need to sound exactly like him. I'm not saying that you are trying to do that. I'm just suggesting that looking for that elusive Jarre sound is a daunting task as he was extremely complex in his arrangements.

----------------------------------
Fantom X-8 (2.10) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
Krokodilen

Post by Krokodilen »

Thanks for your replyes ;)

paradox1509:
It's hard to describe a sound. Whats worse is that I don't yet have any web space for shareing.

Igglethorpe:
An other Jarre fan?
I'm not into copying Jarre but I do want something similar. And yes, Jarre even uses custom-made equipment/synths that's almost impossible to duplicate.
Nice set of machines you'll end up with. All controlled by the Fantom sequencer or some computer DAW?

Regards.
paradox1509

Post by paradox1509 »

sorry m8 if you were interested in maybe a pad or lead sound i could send it over e-mail etc, I agree that its very hard trying to emulate a particular artist or sound, I would love to recreate a bassline from an old transmat record but i fail miserabely everytime, the things that appealed to me most about the sh201 is a. vst support b. price c. simplicity.
Since i started making music with computers I would download every synth going, i would play a few presets then move on to the next etc etc, never really knowing how the sound was created. I have learnt more in a week on the sh than i have done in the last 7 years with soft synths although they are brilliant but most are not simple to fully understand. Well done Roland! can we have a TR808 with vsti support then i really will be in heaven.

go here to listen to some sounds from the videos
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... jectId=769
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Krokodilen: I currently run everything through my X-8. I don't use a computer at all for anything. It just adds a layer of complexity I don't want right now. If I picked up the SH-201, I would layer it specifically with V-Synth XT sounds and use it as a portable synth for various other projects I'm thinking about. The X-8 would still control everything.

Basically, the output of the V-Synth XT would go into the audio in of the SH-201. The output of the SH-201, into the X-8 inputs. Crazy setup and may actually weaken the sound quality of the V-Synth XT, but my eventual goals are to use a hardware mixer which has firewire monitor capability and record it to .wav. That way I'm still primarily in hardware except the very last step.

I may eventually move more into computer sequencers etc, but right now, it is just a distraction that would keep me away from practicing...

Good luck with whatever you end up doing musically!

----------------------------------
Fantom X-8 (2.10) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
ten

Post by ten »

@Paradox, have you managed to set the 201 up yet so that midi AND audio go across the usb cable?

Ive installed both the vst editor and the newer usb 1.01 driver which are both ok and show up, but for the life of me I cannot get any sound out of it.

I load the editor as a vst instrument in cubase sx and it even makes a chan on the vsti mixer called 'output'. I assign it to a track and midi works fine, but still no sound. So at the moment I am using it via the old analog cables which is working ok, its just the documentation suggest you can put both midi and audio down the usb negating the need for analog cables.

USB Connectivity
The SH-201 can be connected to a computer (Mac or PC) with one simple USB cable. Both MIDI and audio can be routed through the USB port. A VSTi software editor is included, which allows SH-201 sounds to be manipulated from within a VSTi-compatible host software sequencer.

On a side note, anyone in the UK who wants to purchase the 201, Turnkey will price match any european price.
Send them an email and ask them to price match here...
http://www.keyboardshop.com/product.lasso?pr=044149
And you can pick up the 201 for £360!!! Bloody bargin, got mine on Tuesday from them.

ten
paradox1509

Post by paradox1509 »

If you read the documentation that comes with the driver it explains how to do it, settings to make in cubase etc..
Cant believe that though 360, I paid 425 last week grrr
Let me know if you need anymore help m8
paradox