Is Everything on SH-201 Possible on V-Synth?

Forum for SH-201
mrcpro

Is Everything on SH-201 Possible on V-Synth?

Post by mrcpro »

I demo'ed the SH-201 extensively at GC, and was impressed for what it is at the price it's at. Specifically, I was knocked out by with the destination 2 busses on the LFOs, and their ability to modulate in negative amounts. This is something not on the earlier JP-8000/8080.

With just one of these LFOs going PWM sounds are "to die for" if you modulate the PW of one osc positlvely and the other osc negatively in the destination 2 bus. This will make you melt if you like PMW pads.

But the V-Synth doesn't cost much more these days, especially used. And with everything else it has going for it, including better build quality, I'm leaning on going that route. Do any of you V-Synth owners know if it has this second destination bus for it's LFOs with a negative amount option? I'm really hooked on that rich PMW sound of the SH-201.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Is Everything on SH-201 Possible on V-Synth?

Post by Artemiy »

On the V-Synth, you actually have 5 LFOs per patch, one for each OSC, one for each COSM and one for TVA. So yes, it is possible to have two LFOs with same rates modulate the pulse widths of OSC 1 and 2 with inverse polarities. I am not really sure if it'll sound exactly like the SH-201, but pretty sure it should. Better try yourself, and yes, indeed V-Synth will bring quite some more features compared to the 201 of course - like VariPhrase, COSM processors, FM and envelope ring modulators.
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Thanks, Artemio. So I take it that V-Synth LFOs are set up like ones on an XP or Fantom, on a screen with sources and destinations and the ability to enter positive and negative amounts? These would be at the voice level then, right... any global LFOs on the V-Synth? (... and playing one at this point is impossible... they're closeouts, but great buys online.)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The LFOs on the V are not like on the Fantoms nor like on the 201 - they are dedicated, and OSC1 LFO cannot be routed to COSM2 parameters for example. As I said, there are 5 LFOs: OSC1/2, COSM1/2 and TVA. The only thing that's global is the 4-track step modulator (which rocks! ;-)).
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Thanks for the clarification. I get it. The sound should be pretty close, but a bit different because it will be polyphonic, but that actually may make it sound better.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

"but a bit different because it will be polyphonic"

Pardon, what do you mean? SH-201 is polyphonic just like the V-Synth.
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Oops... what I meant was that the modulation would be polyphonic on the V-Synth because the LFOs work at the osc level and not globally. But now that I think about it... if the LFOs work like they do on a Fantom, turning key sync off would line up their duty cycles together, so it wouldn't matter. Plus, if you turn key sync on you'd get an alternate sound because each note would start at the top of the LFO cycle. I think. Right?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No, the 201 has LFOs/filters/envelopes per voice, just like the V and Fantoms.
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Well, there you go! Didn't know that. :)