Can V-synth make sounds similar to SH201 sounds ??????

Forum for SH-201
victorvet2001

Can V-synth make sounds similar to SH201 sounds ??????

Post by victorvet2001 »

Hi, I have checked out the SH201 in a shop two days ago and sounds fantastic, I already have a V-synth and fantom X6 and I was wondering how to make SH201 sounds like with my V-synth - as has been said that SH201 has a kind of V-synth heart. Any advice?????
LivePsy

Re: Can V-synth make sounds similar to SH201 sounds ??????

Post by LivePsy »

You're in a great position to tell us, victor. Since you already have a V-Synth, how does it compare with the SH-201?

Its seems to be the VA parts of the V-Synth, so I was expecting the SH-201 to be familiar. What's your impression?

Cheers.
B
ewanh

the simple answer is...

Post by ewanh »

I have a V-synth and an sh 201.

The V-synth was one of those "i played with the presets in the shop and i just had to have one!" moments.

It's great - but for a guy who has had very little experience of synths, it's flipping complicated!

With the 201 i know where i'm at - the interface is all in front of you, you know where everything is and it has some killer lfo and filters.

I'm positive that the V-synth could do anything that the 201 could (probably standing on its head and do it miles better), but the 201 is accesible - It's the simplest synth i've ever used - I've programmed 8 patches myself already, and i bought it only yesterday.

Lovin it!
LivePsy

Post by LivePsy »

flippin complicated indeed :)

The JP-8000 was so easy, and while there is more programmability in the V-Synth its also lost something. Programming it is a serious business...

I'm pleased you are enjoying the SH-201!

CHeers,
BF
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

My only complaint about the V-Synth at this point is it doesn't appear to have an editor for the PC. For the SH-201, I stick my laptop in front of it, and basically I have a huge visual interface when making patches. I think a lot of the complexity of the V-Synth could be reduced with a dedicated PC editor.

----------------------------------
Fantom X-8 (2.10) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Just wanted to comment the lasts posts:

First, how would you imagine the V-Synth be as easily tweakable as JP-8000 and SH-201 when it has at least 15-20 times the amount of parameters? Second, I do find it very easy to work with anyway. I have a manual in Japanese if you wonder, that should mean something.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I will admit, I've never read the manual for the V-Synth XT. Then again, I don't have a lot of questions on how to operate the unit in the first place. My problems are more conceptual synth patch programming. The interface as it is, is already intuitive enough to get the job done. I would just find it easier to program if there was a PC editor much like the Fantom X or SH-201. For me, the real estate on a computer screen is far easier to work with rather than the screen provided. I would rather see half if not 3/4 of the knobs at once.

That said, if I had a V-Synth instead of a V-Synth XT, I already know that programming would be even easier due to all the dedicated knobs. I just prefer the XT's smaller footprint for what I use it for.

Regarding the V-Synth Mark 2 (if they ever release it), I would be all over that puppy. The keyboard version, definitely!

And Artemio, not everyone is as experienced with programming synthesizers as yourself. Some people need more tools etc to help them see the big picture. I am, unfortunately one of them. Due to this, the SH-201 has been a god send to me. I am finding myself playing with it far more than my V-Synth lately because it is so unintimidating. Of course, I will get back on my V-Synth, but for once I feel like I'm really "getting it" when I play with my SH-201. Due to this new experience with the SH-201, I'll be that much more prepared to program the V-Synth when the time comes.

I'm also looking forward to Artemio's V-Synth book that he is working on. I think that alone will help me conceptualize new patch ideas on the V-Synth.

----------------------------------
Fantom X-8 (2.10) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
hi-tech

Post by hi-tech »

"Regarding the V-Synth Mark 2 (if they ever release it), I would be all over that puppy. The keyboard version, definitely!"

hmm...never heard of this... any info or links I can check out for this piece? A search turned up nada.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Google for "V-Synth mkII QuinnX edition". I heard from my sources that it will feature a new groundbreaking "Anti-whine" COSM unit.
LivePsy

Anti-Whine COSM

Post by LivePsy »

My sources deep inside Roland hinted that this new COSM whining unit does much more than basic anti-whining. It detects the whining content and then cuts or boosts this in 6 dB increments. Imagine Whining on +12dB boost ? With this new sound shaper you can now truly express every imaginable emotion...

Hey regarding complexity in programming: The V-Synth keyboard does I think the best job of presenting a lot of parameters. You can clearly see the parameters, and can adjust the currently highlighted one with the dial plus the hardwired parameter (PITCH, TIME, FORMANT) at the same time. You can't obviously have one knob for every parameter, but you do end up touching the screen to change the selected parameter *a lot*. Plus change screens *a lot*.

A "dumnmies mode" would be really nice, perhaps the key SH-201 knobs copied on a new screen. Or the sound shaper feature but actually useful (IMO)

Cheers,
B
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Sorry guys, but I honestly don't understand what you're talking about. The V-Synth is by far the easiest synth I've ever used, and the OS/display is awesome.
No need whatsoever for a computer editor.

regards, Hugo
Ganzheit

Post by Ganzheit »

I bought my V-Synth XT because I dislike programming synthesizers on a computer. And I have not been disappointed with it: everything is easily accessible and despite its relative complexity, I find programming it very straight forward and convenient.
hi-tech

Post by hi-tech »

ahh the QuinnX edition...... can't wait till it drops.
hi-tech

Post by hi-tech »

anyone actually use the sound shaper btw? Why not (if not)...
Ganzheit

Post by Ganzheit »

I use the sound shaper sometimes as a starting point. Once I know I have the right direction I go back to the conventional way to work on the sound further.