Any SH-201 owners here who can help with following please..

Forum for SH-201
Dance123

Any SH-201 owners here who can help with following please..

Post by Dance123 »

Hi,

I am considering buying the SH-201, however I have some questions I have bundled here I hope owners of that synth can help me with:

1- can you have delay AND reverb simultaneously or not? The pdf manual I downloaded is confusing about this: "FX ON button: This button specifies whether DELAY or REVERB will be used. If you press this button so its indicator is lit, the corresponding effect will be on. You can turn on just DELAY or REVERB by itself, or turn both on simultaneously." Now since that button specifies whether delay OR reverb will be used, what do you need to press to get them simultaneously and what will the indicators show then??

2- like the above, can you have chorus AND reverb at the same time, if you change the delay to chorus?

3- doesn't SH201 have UNISON like JP8000, and can you set the amount of voices to be allocated for each key you play

4- doesn't SH201 have BASS and TREBLE eq controls like JP8000?

5- does the DUAL/SPLIT button keep blinking all the time when you choose split? Isn't that annoying to keep watching to that blinking knob if you use split alot?

6- do upper and lower tone each have 2 oscs so you have 4 osc's in total or how is that?

7- doesn't DETUNE knob spread the 7 saws of the supersaw osc like on the JP8000? The manual doesn't mention that!!

I know these are many questions, but I really hope you help me with them! Thanks alot!!
V-CeeOh

Re: Any SH-201 owners here who can help with following pleas

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi
I'm not a owner but I think I can help ;-)

1) Yes you can use Reverb AND Delay at the same time
2) The SH does not have a "real" chorus effect but you can use the modulation parameter on the delay to get a similar result.
3) The SH does not have an Unison but a DUAL mode. In this one it alocates all 4 oscilators to the keys (obviously you also loose polyphony)
4) No
5) Yes it keeps blinking. And, no I don't find it annoying. Lots of other gear have blinking lights at that was never a problem - at least for me.
6) Yes, 2 oscilators for upper and 2 for lower
7) The Detune detunes one oscilator from the other.

Could not afford the 8.
Listen to what I've done with the 7
Dance123

Post by Dance123 »

Thanks alot fixthemix for your help! Maybe somebody with an SH-201 can help with the "how-to-do" questions, like:

1- since the FX ON button specifies whether delay OR reverb will be used, what do you need to press to get them simultaneously and what will the indicators show then??

5- if the DUAL/SPLIT button set at SPLIT keeps "blinking", does that literally mean it goes on..off..on..off.. flickering like that forever (on most synths I know a button only flickers to indicate editing of parameter). Just want to know for sure.

7- When you set osc to SUPERSAW, can't you spread the 7 saws of the supersaw osc like on the JP8000 with some knob?!! Wasn't this a JP8000 essential feature, also available on many other VA synths?!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

1 - Switch to reverb and press FX ON, then switch to delay and switch FX ON too.

7 - Yes it is possible, the "pulse width" knob adjusts super saw detune depth.