SH-201 vs V-synth

Forum for SH-201
ExtremeFingers

SH-201 vs V-synth

Post by ExtremeFingers »

I'm sure this question was asked before, but anyway...

SH-201 has the same synthesis and sound engine as the V-Synth. So, it means that SH has the power of the V-synth, but it just can't be true, because SH is 4 time cheaper.

So what are the difference between SH-201 and V-Synth? Because I know that V-synth is great, and I wanted to have something like it, but not so complicated and expensive.

Thanks
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: SH-201 vs V-synth

Post by Artemiy »

No, of course no, SH-201 just has part of the virtual analog section of the V-Synth: mainly the oscillators and multi-mode filter. It lacks the rest dozen COSM algorithms, has no VariPhrase sampler, no effects, and so on. So as to me it's even less than 1/4.
ExtremeFingers

Post by ExtremeFingers »

So lets say, I want to buy my first analog synth (but I'm very serious about keyboards, I already have FX8).
Should I buy SH-201 first or should I start with the V-synth?
Does SH has something that V-synth doesn't?
For example, SH is an old fashioned VA and V-Synth is more digital (big screen, effects etc etc) - SH is more "old school"
Also, SH has an advantage of being very cheap (I could buy it in 2 months, and I'm not rich) and it's "educational", so it's also good for me.
I will buy V-synth anyway, I heard it many times and it looks like it's a "must have" synth, and V-synth will replace SH anyway, because I'll max use 2 board.

I think that SH-201 will sound more like a traditional VA, because it doesn't have all thing fancy effects etc. And it's alway good to have a traditional synth

So, will I miss something if I skip SH and will buy V-synth?
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

The only thing I'd say you'd miss would be the SH-201's portability. In some ways it's a wonderful simple VA, that captures a lot of what the JP-8000 did, but with the added benefit of being very easy to integrate into a PC software-based environment as a controller. You also then don't have to worry about its limit of "32 presets" as you can basically have an infinite number of presets -- stored on your PC.

As a matter of fact it would be wise of Roland to have a bunch of sound designers design like about 300 presets for the SH-201, available for download, just to prove this point. Take some of the best designs from existing VA synths, and riff on them for this collection.

Beyond that, though, the V-Synth is light-years more than the SH-201 in capability. But if you're just starting out, you might find all of that more than you'd want to come to grips with at first.
vestan_pance

Post by vestan_pance »

Hi Extreme,

I've done a similar thing to you in terms of getting my keyboards. I started out with a Nord Lead 2X, and then purchased the SH-201. The 201 in my opinion was streets ahead of the nord in terms of playability - the Nord was much more sterile and less organic than the 201.

Since then I've upgraded the Nord to a V-Synth, but for me the V and the 201 are two completely different beasts, each with their own strengths. The 201 is easy to get a sound out of, by manipulation of the controls - great fun to use and with the d-beam controller it's a really expressive instrument. You can get some really cracking sounds out of the 201 very easily. The 32 preset limit is not an issue believe me.

The V is more for when I want a quality sound that I program from the ground up (mainly using a sample base). The possibilities on the V are almost endless and the playability features (twin d-beam, tt-pad) are fascinating to use and to manipulate the sound.

The only niggle I have with the 201 is that it feels 'cheap'. Clearly this is to make the unit as affordable as possible and for that I applaud Roland, but it does feel as though if you press one of the buttons too hard you might just go through the plastic case !!

The V on the other hand is like a tank !

Before I had these synths I was primarily using VST instruments within Cubase, but since acquiring them, predominantly I record audio directly from one or the other (or both) !

Steve.

Cubase 4, Roland V-Synth, Roland SH-201, Too many VSTi's to mention....
ROCCOTO

Post by ROCCOTO »

is like comparing a civic to a fully loaded mercedez benz
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Leave Civic alone! Front wheel drive is better, and the engine consumes less petrol. Plus, according to the stats, Honda is 3 times more reliable than Mercedes! :-D
Krokodilen

Post by Krokodilen »

Hi Art
I always thought you'd run a trabis ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Mind you, I don't even have a bike :-(
secretfungus

Post by secretfungus »

I just bought an sh-201

I also own a korg radias

and im very pleased with the 201 on sooo many levels... the radias lacks the punch that the SH-201 delivers

sure, you can get that by making heavy adustments to the radias, but the killer is how easy it is to do on the 201

I think my radias will take a back seat on the lead parts for my music... I will most likely end up using it for layered pads and ambience while I use the 201 to wail on the notes

they compliment eachother very nicely I think and for 600 dollars, I couldnt have asked (or dreamed) of anything better ;)
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

I'd say if you're looking to get your feet wet with analog synthesis the SH201 is a better choice for you at this point in time. With the 201 there is nothing standing between you and creating and tweaking sounds a la classic analog synths. This thing is so dang easy and fun to start programming that it will really get you into the basics of analog synths.

Also it's almost a benefit that you don't have a big LCD screen, tons of effects, sampling, etc... it kind of "forces" you into an analog synth state of mind :)

There is no doubt that the V-Synth is waaaay more powerful and IMO better sounding -- some might say the SH is a bit more raw/raspy/digital sounding -- but in a lot of ways that's a good thing, it gives your angry leads / acid synth bass sounds lots of punch and edge.

But I think if you want the hands-on analog experience you'd get more out of the SH. Once you become a VA guru, then the added complexity of the V-Synth probably won't seem so intimidating.

Just my $0.02!

---
Rick
[Fantom G6] [Fantom-S61 + SRX01/07/09] [SH-201] [JP-8000] [D-50] [D-5]

Widow's Walk ~ http://www.widowswalk.ca ~ http://www.myspace.com/widowswalkprog
Jacket250

Post by Jacket250 »

It's hard to say .......

office 2010
microsoft office 2007
canefire

Post by canefire »

I own a korg radias, and a Vsynth and i still want either a Sh201 or a Gaia. Why? For the same reaason that a painter uses different brands/types of paint. You want to make a water color painting today but then tomorrow a masterpiece out of chalk, and then the next day all of the above with oil included. Frankly, I am no where near as good a synth programmer as some of you guys in here. I applaud the programmers for what you can do. I often use presets, and the simple sounds I sample. Much of the time I like being able to work quickly. The sh201 is uncomplicated and thus fast, I mean two button presses and the looper is ready. A testament to the SH201 is that they havee not dropped far in price.
cheers,
Ian
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Plus, silly little thing, but its these that count: the SH-201 has a coupla holes on the underside big enough to stick your finger in to hold onto it when you're moving it around. Makes it easy to pick up and put down.

It remains a very easy synth to integrate into a software environment, both as MIDI controller and sound source.