SH201 troubleshooting

Forum for SH-201
Mc88Kees

SH201 troubleshooting

Post by Mc88Kees »

Hi all.

I am having a problem with my SH201. Basically, the patches that are either number 5 or 6 have become unusable because the buttons that contol them no longer respond when I press them. They still light up when it is turned on, but I can't switch over to them. Any thoughts on why it would be doing this?

Tom
Igglethorpe

Re: SH201 troubleshooting

Post by Igglethorpe »

Sounds mechanical, however I would do a factory reset to make sure.

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Ashaneen

Re: SH201 troubleshooting

Post by Ashaneen »

Are you able to switch to those patches using the VST editor?
I agree with Igglethorpe, it does sound like the keys themselves have malfunctioned or have broken.
Do they feel the same as the other buttons when you press them?
Did you try a factory reset?
If it's less than a year old, Roland may repair it for free (they will only charge the cost of labor after 90-days).
As a last resort, I would take it apart. I have one and I know they are built very solid, and if the buttons themselves were the problem, you could try replacing them with ones that you may not use (Tap, Oct, etc...). If it's something that can be fixed with a little bit of soldering, it may be worth it to take it apart.
Good Luck!
Gospel

Oh man I have same problem!

Post by Gospel »

I joined this forum looking for this problem. I have the same thing except my number 8 button has gone. It too lights up with start-up (the LED part) but will not allow me to make a patch selection with that button.(example from either user or preset bank D-#7 when i push the #8 button it stays at D#7) I did the factory reset twice to no avail. Does anyone know what in the architecture of the SH-201 manufacture could cause this? it's saturday now hopefully i can talk to my Roland Authorized repair guy on monday though he just got my KC-350 amp back to me on friday (yesterday) after sitting in the shop for 5 weeks for a blown tweeter. UGH!-Gospel