SH-201 Filter Cutoff Mod Question

Forum for SH-201
Robonaut

SH-201 Filter Cutoff Mod Question

Post by Robonaut »

I was demoing a SH-201 at the store the other day and I couldn't seem to find a way to use the mod wheel or pitch bend lever to control the filter's cutoff frequency.

I know that you can route the LFO to the filter and control the amount of modulation using the mod wheel, but that's not quite what I want to do. What I want is to use the mod wheel or pitch bend lever to directly control the cutoff--not add cyclic modulation.

Is it possible to do this on the SH-201? If so, how?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: SH-201 Filter Cutoff Mod Question

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, it's possible. From the manual:

Robonaut

Post by Robonaut »

Thanks--but did you actually try this or are you just going by the manual?

I ask because, if you look on Page 18 of the manual, where it talks about the modulation lever, it seems to imply that LFO2 is always hard-wired to the modulation lever. So, the controller assign function that you refer to seems to just determine where the modulation from LFO2 is routed.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I am sorry but I have no SH-201 around (played with it for a few days), but I think I heard several presets in it that have just the filter cutoff on the lever.
Goten

Post by Goten »

Hello!

I had an SH-201, and this was my problem also. As I can tell from my experience, you can only use cyclic change with the modulation lever, nothing more.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

A bug perhaps? You should report this to your local Roland distributor.
Goten

Post by Goten »

It's no bug... Just a lack of features.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

So you mean the manual talks about the modulation lever adjusting the LFO depth for those parameters, not the parameters themselves? Anyway, I think D-beam is just great for that. I had doubts about it's usability, but it's been about 3 years since I changed my opinion - it's very cool.
mastgrr

Post by mastgrr »

There is a simple fix.

The main problem: when you set the mod wheel to control the filter it controls the depth of LFO 2.

Solution: Set the shape of the LFO to square, activate temp sync, lower the Rate all the way to the bottom (7:00 o clock), and set the Depth to 0 (12:00 o clock).

Now when you use the mod wheel it's like using the Cutoff.

Problems with this solution: it makes you lose one LFO. And it doesn't let you do negative values (controlling the Cutoff downwards) I think unless you set the Cutoff to max.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

As Artemiy suggested, the D-BEAM is great for that. Ive owned an sh201 for about two weeks now its great for modulating paramaters- I dont even both with the mod wheel anymore.

To assign the D-BEAM to any parameter, just hold the 'FILTER/ASSIGN' button, then tweak whatever knob you want to control and thats its, start waving away.

I think its more expressive than using the mod wheel, and it adds a cool visual element to a performance. And mainly, its alot of fun to mess about with. Go D-BEAM!