Roland SH 201 versus Korg Radius

Forum for SH-201
pjblues

Roland SH 201 versus Korg Radius

Post by pjblues »

I have a question, and I am not a keyboard player. I own a Roland Juno and a V-Synth XT. I can play basic chords and notes but it works well for my applications. I however was considering buying an SH201 or Korg Radius to even get a greater selection of sounds, patches, and effects. Am I on the right track or wasting money? I am struggling with learning the V-Synth XT at this point.

Thanks.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Roland SH 201 versus Korg Radius

Post by Artemiy »

The SH-201 has the same VA engine as in the V-Synth. Why would you need to double what's already in your V-Synth? I agree that SH-201 is really fun to tweak, like many have pointed out (some here do own a V-Synth and an SH-201), but as to me, it makes more sense to buy something totally different.
pjblues

Thanks For The Info

Post by pjblues »

Artemio,

You don't happen to give lessons on Pro Audio do you?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sure I do ;-)

Feel free to visit my dedicated site on sound design and consulting, you can also contact me from there if you need any help:

http://sineshine.com/
SoftRoom_

Post by SoftRoom_ »

The Radias sounds gorgeous. IMHO the SH201 doesn't.
Paul
pjblues

Your Opinion

Post by pjblues »

Thanks for your opinion. I have just gave it a quick sampling and I like it very well. I figure this week to really go through it. My problem is I have a lot of gear but do not know how to use it. I am new at this.

This Roland MV 8800 is my newest challenge, then theres the Roland Juno G, Pro Tools, and Ableton Live to learn yet. I could use some help!

Thanks.
pjblues

I Am Going To Your Site

Post by pjblues »

I am going to vist your site today. I may need some additional help. I am actually considering hiring someone to get me going. Let me tell you what I have hooked up and get your opinion since you know a lot about studio recording.

I have a Pro Tools LE Version 7 surface system. I am running a Roland Juno G audio into it as well as running the Juno G midi into the V-Synth XT. I have Ableton Live 6 running on my IMAC, as well as Reason. Lastly I have the MV 8800 hooked up as well. I am totally lost at this point and everythng is just a test. I have bought DVDs for Reason and Ableton.

I would value any opinion you would have.

Thanks Artemio.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hey pjblues,

well, in general you can find all the support you need over here - for free.

If you want to learn how to operate your Juno-G and V-Synth, I'd suggest you check out the TweakBooks: http://sinevibes.com/publications/. These cost $19 each but there are dozens of easy-to-read articles on how to create various sounds, use effects and so on. But if you'd need a "hands-on" help with these, feel free to contact me personally!
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I have both a V-Synth XT and an SH-201 and find them both useful and complimentary. When I had the opportunity to play with a Radius I wasn't impressed at all. The Virus Polar felt more complete and feature rich for my needs. The point is, all of this is subjective. You will have to make your own decision with regard to your gear purchases.

I would recommend that if you are having trouble learning the gear that you have, you probably have enough and should master them (and max out their capabilities) before grabbing more gear. This is what is holding me back from getting the Polar until I absolutely need it for a project, etc.

The old adage "Less is more" applies here.

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
rezfactor

Roland SH-201 vs. Korg Radius

Post by rezfactor »

Well, I went to Guitar Center Hollywood today to perform my SH-201 pre-purchase due-diligence, and played with one for about 20 minutes. Yeah, it was fun. It was "easy." Then I saw the Radias. I started playing around with the Radias. Almost an hour later, I couldn't leave the store. Sure, the Radias is twice the money, but WOW! That thing is COOL! I think I'm going to go for the Radias.

This is going to be my "analog modeling" synth to complement my recently purchased Roland Fantom X8 workstation. All I'll need after that is a Yamaha Motif Rack ES, and I'll be SET! My whole intention was to always buy sound generators from DIFFERENT manufacturers to have DIFFERENT sounds. Roland, Korg, Yamaha. How's THAT for covering my bases?

• Roland Fantom X8 w/1GB SDRAM/4GB CF/SRX04/SRX06/SRX09
• Korg Radias [coming soon]
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Rezfactor,

Any informed decision is a good decision. I'm glad you found your new axe. Good luck with it.

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
rezfactor

Post by rezfactor »

Igglethorpe:

Thanks, man. I only wish I were talented enough to use all these powerful instruments to their fullest extent! Yeah, I really fell in love with that Radias. Maybe I'll sober up, save myself $600, and get the 201 instead. But that Radias really got me going—I WANT it!

• Roland Fantom X8 w/1GB SDRAM/4GB CF/SRX04/SRX06/SRX09
• Korg Radias [coming soon]