Defective SH-201?

Forum for SH-201
midi

Defective SH-201?

Post by midi »

I ordered a NFS SH-201 from AMS and there is no volume plus the tone select keys dont work beyond #4.

Just got the replacement today and there is sound but #5 key doesnt work when selecting patches. I tried to do a factory reset on both units but the write key just kept flashing. Any ideas before i give up? Thanks!
Igglethorpe

Re: Defective SH-201?

Post by Igglethorpe »

I think it would be highly odd for you to get 2 bad SH-201s at the same time. Make sure your power from the outlet is working properly for a start. Also, the Factory Reset is not included (or wasn't when I got my SH-201) in the printed manual. Just to make sure you are doing this correctly, here is the Factory reset option:

1. While together holding down both the PRESET and USER buttons, switch on the SH-201.
The WRITE button and CANCEL button will blink.
2. Press the WRITE button.
If you decide to cancel, press the CANCEL button.

Just trying to cover all the bases. If you can't get that to work, I would indeed suspect the SH-201. Have you tried contacting Roland Tech Support?

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I worked with one SH-201 which was a highly-abused store display unit, all worked fine. Are you buying used items or what? Get a new factory sealed one.
midi

Post by midi »

One was a factory re-sealed unit, and the other looks brand new. I am doing the Factory Reset on them and after I hit the write button it keeps flashing and I have to power the unit down. Am i doing anything wrong?
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

As long as you are holding down both the Preset and User buttons while powering up the unit and waiting for it to fully load before letting the buttons go.

Hard to say really. Perhaps there is a maintenance mode that Roland Tech Support can use to help you troubleshoot? I would give them a call before returning your second one.

As a side note, I have had extremely good success with AMS. I bought my X8, XR, and V-Synth XT from them. All brand new, factory sealed, and in perfect condition.

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
midi

Post by midi »

Thanks, most of the AMS stuff is usually good, I'll try to call Roland US in LA on Wednesday....
netwreck

Post by netwreck »

I just exchanged mine with all most the same problem tone select keys don't work beyond #5 pluse the the effects on and edit did not work. Looks like the only thing I have found wrong with the new one is that the interval buttons on OSC2 don't light up which the manual say they should, and some times when I push one the wide button on OCS1 lights up? not sure if the last one is a problem as I haven't had time to read the whole manual yet
midi

Post by midi »

Called Roland and they couldnt help me, said to return to AMS. Good thing, because i want a real synth and am ordering the new VSynth, the 201 is a cheaply built toy...