sh 201 interval buttons

Forum for SH-201
leonardo

sh 201 interval buttons

Post by leonardo »

i have got a sh-201 synthesizer, and the interval buttons have malfunction:

1)the -OCT and 5th buttons don't lit
2)when i push one of these buttons, i cannot remove the effect of it

for ex: when i push the -OCT button, it adds the octave of the pitch;but the button doesn't lit and and i cannot remove the octave of the pitch when i push the button again..

can anyone inform me about this plzzz???
Igglethorpe

Re: sh 201 interval buttons

Post by Igglethorpe »

This appears to be normal. The buttons are clear, but they are not designed to come on. While I've not verified this with tech support, it seems to be the case. I wondered the same thing. If anyone out there with an SH-201 could countermand that, I'd like to know.

If you want to return the pitch to the original setting, just wiggle the pitch knob to center. It will do the same thing.

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

yours is also don't lit??? is this the case???then i think all of the sh-201s have a problem..

because i newly realized that in the page 30 "INTERVAL buttons" section of the manual it writes "if you press one of these buttons so it's lit, ......."

by the way i want to remove the effect by the button itself not the pitch knob, this is not practical...
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

I ordered my 201 from the mid west, had a friend buy his from California, plus I've checked two different stores that carry the synth where I'm currently living (Portland, OR) and so far every 201 that I've come across has had this problem.

I actually didn't really notice this till you mentioned it since I never bother experimenting with either button (I prefer to just detune each OSC manually), but yup, seems like that's just the way the synth was made.

--------------------------------------------
MS-1, MC-505, RS-5, MC-808, SH-201
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I don't really think this is a problem, per say. It is just a shortcut to setting an osc to a predefined pitch. It's possible that when the manual was printed that they were considering a light there, but changed their minds once final testing was concluded. The manual appears to have not been updated. Have you checked the online manual? I don't have it in front of me. That had some changes in it (such as including how to factory reset the SH-201).

Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

To my opinion this is a serious problem, if i will not use these buttons or if i have to use the pitch knob to return the pitch to original setting(which is NOT practical),why do these buttons exist over the synth??

i have got many Roland /Boss products, and i really love them, but this synth made me angry, and i gave back to the store...
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Mmkay

Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Fredisland

Post by Fredisland »

(17 years later :) )
I've noticed the same thing : no light and impossible to cancel the effect if you press the same button.
BUT there's a VERY simple solution : just press simultaneously both buttons to cancel -OCT or 5th. That's all !
I don't think it's a bug, it's just designed like this, even if in the user manual it's written that buttons should light up.