Psytrance And Darkpsy on SH-201

Forum for SH-201
demogorgon

Psytrance And Darkpsy on SH-201

Post by demogorgon »

Hey guys and girls

I'm looking at buying a sh 201 but i wanna know how dark can you make it.. Im looking at making darkpsy and psytrance.. So would this synth be a good idea.... I have Korg EMX 1 and its doing a good job but just looking 4 new sounds......
Jim Stout

Re: Psytrance And Darkpsy on SH-201

Post by Jim Stout »

You don't have to worry about it!

I've been making "Trance" since 1991 (industrial before that) way before all of these sub genre's came out. If you want to look it up Google Nebula 9 Jim Stout.

Roland invented every major sound in the dance music world. From drum machines to the Alpha Juno "Whoover Sound" (The sound is actually called "What's The?" in the Juno), To the TB-303.

The bottom Line is if you want to any kind of dance music you need a Roland keyboard.

just ask anybody.

The SH-201 Kicks butt! It has more options than the beloved JP-8000 which defined the trance sound of the late 90's and was $2700.00

I know, 10 years ago before I ever got a job at Roland I bought it.

So to be able to get the Roland sound for the price of the SH-201 is a no brainer.

Hope that helps
demogorgon

Post by demogorgon »

Thanks Dude..
Jim Stout

Post by Jim Stout »

No Problem!

Glad to help.

Now go get a 201!

:-)
totty

Post by totty »

Hi guys,

Im sure the 201 is a good choice. I have a JP8080, and I still love some of it's sounds.

I just wish Roland would develop a true JP8000 successor. The technology must be there now to produce something up against a Virus. But I guess the direction now is Vsynth GT!!
Jim Stout

Post by Jim Stout »

The JP-8000/8080 are still fantastic synthesizers! I still have mine!

The SH-201 has it's place, it's affordable, it's an audio interface and sounds fat!

It also has the ability to produce "Super-saw" waveforms on both oscillators, the Jp-8000/8080 can only do 1 "Super-saw" waveform per patch.

Yes, you can layer two sound in the JP so you can have 2 "Super-saws"

But, so can the SH-210... for a total of 4 "Super-saws" at the same time.

Now, Virus vs V-Synth GT.

The Virus is a great sounding synth, there is no doubt about that.

But, V-Synth GT is a whole other animal. Variphrase, COSM filters, VA, FM, dual FX, Vocoder/ Designer, Audio interface. you get the idea.

Plus the output stage has been upgraded to 24bit/96k conversion and balance outs.

The GT sounds smoooooth!

The bottom line is... if you have 3K to spend which synth has more sound potential?

I would have to lean toward the V-GT.

Even if I didn't work for Roland I would still get the GT over the Virus Ti.
totty

Post by totty »

Totally Jim,

I would love a Vsynth. At the mo I'm gonna hold on.(I'll be hung out to dry by the wife otherwise!!)

I think the 201 is a tempting prospect. I was looking between that and an Ion. I suppose they are both different animals.

4 Supersaws - that does sound fat!!
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

I recently bought a used V-Synth in almost perfect condition for $600. Something to think about.

Needless to say, I am loving it. Perfect companion for teh Fantom X.
Silver Dragon Sound

Post by Silver Dragon Sound »

Ditto here as well. My used v-synth was just over $600. That would definitely be money better spent than on a SH201.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

It depends if you want to use the synth as an audio interface as the original V doesn't have that capability.
Polite Society

Post by Polite Society »

i don't know, the key thing about psytrance is tweaking a sound, bending it around, messing with it. i don't think the 201 has the pitch resolution for some of those sounds. there is definate stepping when pitch bending, and the joystick on the 201 has a pretty big deadspot in the neutral position.

having said that though, i was coming up with some very psy sounds on it the other day using the feedback osc, and the pitching being so low it was practically just a series of clicking noises, pushed the delay right up, fiddled with the pitch, and the feedback and made some very dark, wet psy sounds.

you could definately hit the usual bassline sounds. and the supersaw has all your usual cheesey trance pads covered.

oops... i'm like a year too late with this reply.
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

If you want to do create professional sounding Psytrance you need a software synth made by Refx called Vanguard or their flagship product called Nexus2. I've got a SH-201 because its really fun to play and tweak but once you hear either of these products it makes the SH-201 sound like a Fisher Price keyboard. Trust me, go to Refx.com and listen to some of the demos and you'll see...
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

So, can you use Vanguard with the SH-201 ? I mean like use the keyboard to play the sounds ?
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Sure you could. As with any midi keyboard you can configure the keyboard and the softsynth trigger the sounds of any VST softsynth. You just select one of the 16 midi channels. If you had Vanguard (or any other softsynth for that matter) running as a plugin in a VST host like Acid Pro 7 or Fruity Loops you could also record the midi event in a track, quantize it in the Piano Loop grid, play it back and not only trigger Vanguard but whatever patch you had your SH-201 set to as well.
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually new to these things and just recently found out about software synths. I'm thinking about getting Z3ta+. So I think that would be a vsti and then I need to buy a soft synth . That's my understanding.