Psytrance And Darkpsy on SH-201

Forum for SH-201
Zylfrax791

Re: Psytrance And Darkpsy on SH-201

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Z3ta "is" a software synth. I tried the demo and its nothing special, it sound like just another freeware softsynth to me. Image Line makes 2 really sick softsynth that blow Z3ta away. One is Sytrus and the other is Toxic Biohazard. If you got the dough, the other two I mentioned previously by refx.com called Vanguard and Nexus2 make that Cakewalk garbage look like something made by Fisher Price.

Don't believe me? Go download the demo music files and the demo VST plugin from image-line.com and refx.com and you'll "hear" the difference...
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Maybe he meant Sonar? a VSTi host? DAW?

I've heard Z3ta is pretty ok, but nexus and vanguard are quite well known for trance. There is also Sylenth1 and many many other softsynths out there.

(Edit: Hey you edited your post! Yeah, what you said. Tho I think Z3ta can do more than it's known for. Shrugs. I'd take your advice if I were buying one too.)
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Well, thanks again zylfrax for replying. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. Like I said I'm new to this and thought z3ta was pretty good. I actually found it on this site www.producercafe.com/?p=94 as one of the top soft synths. It's going to be for home use and nothing pro. Is Vanguard basic (for $100) good enough ? because I cant spend $350 on the "vanguard complete". Thanks.
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Vanguard Basic has plenty of good sounds. Complete is just a group of patches that you can actually choose Ala Carte as well later because they are for different genres like house etc...

Then go over here: http://www.vengeance-sound.com for some really cool sound sets for Vanguard, Nexus and many other hardware synths as well... some out of this world sounds on the their demo sample mp3 to check out...

Personally, I like to sketchpad songs out using soft synths in my computer but then I go back and use my hardware stuff... Akai XR20, Novation Xiosynth, Roland SH-201 and soon to have a Access Virus Ti....
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Thanks for the info, Zylfrax. I appreciate it. I cant wait till I get some of those beautiful Trance sounds.
Wow ! you have a bunch of synthesizers already. Why would you want another one, especially that soft synths seem to be replacing them nowadays and they're a fraction of the price ? But to be honest, I know the feeling when you're looking at some keyboards out there, they're so beautiful -even to look at- you just cant resist buying them.
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

"Why would you want another one, especially that soft synths seem to be replacing them nowadays and they're a fraction of the price ?"

I'm not into the whole laptop on stage thing, I'd rather have a hardware setup for live stuff...

Check out my stuff here:

http://www.myspace.com/biotactical
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

I know...a laptop isn't as convenient as a keyboard that already has just about everything.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Just another thought: Massive, by Native Instruments, combined with the SH-201.

The SH-201, among other things, has a great USB interface that's blindingly simple, and reliable (not dissing the Virus TI; the latter is trying to do way more with its USB interface than the SH-201, to the point where it basically caps what USB can reliably handle, part of why Access has had so much work to get it to work well across the board).

But basically, if you can afford getting NI's Massive with the SH-201, Massive has a beautiful interface and can "learn" all the SH-201's knobs and sliders simply by using them while assigning them to specific control and modulation options per patch (or globally, your choice). It's quite intuitive, and turns the SH-201 into a monster if you combine it with a good, quiet laptop that runs Massive well.

Just an option! :)
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

"i don't know, the key thing about psytrance is tweaking a sound, bending it around, messing with it. i don't think the 201 has the pitch resolution for some of those sounds. there is definate stepping when pitch bending, and the joystick on the 201 has a pretty big deadspot in the neutral position."

The "stepping" you hear is common when you tweak the PITCH knob in VA synths because it cycles only through the 18 standard notes (white & black keys) within an octave. The DETUNE knob is for hitting the weird spots between those notes.

If you want a smooth pitch sweep, that's what the pitch envelope, portamento and LFOs are for.
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

I like my SH-201 and it makes some fun sounds, especially good at doing the Hardstyle or PsyTrance "skreechy" lead sound and some fat bass sounds. I run it through some stomp boxes and it makes it even more hard edged. It doesn't do anything sonically rich though like pads or strings, not enough polyphony plus many other factors I guess.

That said, its not even in the same league as an Access Virus Ti though. I messed with one for about an hour at Guitar Center and now am patiently saving up for one cause its the sickest thing I've ever heard.
joenemeth1

Post by joenemeth1 »

yeah you can make some sick as psytrance stuff on it
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

I know it's a long time since the original and last comment but all it takes is your own creativity to produce anything on any synth, soft or hard. I use my SH-201, MC-808, and Korg R3 to create my live P.A.'s. What I love about the 201 is using it for the bass, pads, acid, and fx sounds for my psy/GOA tracks. It never lets me down.