Keeps turning off after a couple of mintues - help?

Forum for SH-201
stevef

Keeps turning off after a couple of mintues - help?

Post by stevef »

Hi,

I've had my SH-201 about a year, and just recently it decides to just turn itself off after about a minute or two. Basically the prest lights all start flashing whilst all others just go off. Then after babout 5 seconds it's dead.

Anyone ever hear of this? Maybe I am not using the correct PSU (although it's been fine) - I ahve a Boss PSA240 - it's 9V and it fits!

Cheers.
zedius

Re: Keeps turning off after a couple of mintues - help?

Post by zedius »

If I'm looking at the right thing, the PSA240 is only rated for 200mA. Looking in the manual for the SH-201, I see that it requires 600mA. This should not have broken your synth, but may have messed up your supply over time. Try using the proper power supply.

If you want to use a replacement power supply, you have to check not only the voltage but also the current requirement. Current is like a minimum requirement. If you use a power supply rated for 1000mA, and your synth only draws 600mA, it will still work. However, if you can only supply less than 600mA, this will not work.

The other important factor which can really blow up your beloved gear is the polarity of the output. You should see a symbol on the power supply that points to where the positive and negative contacts are. You want to make sure that if your synth requires positive tip and negative shield, that your supply has the same.

Edit: I'm not sure what the polarity for the sh-201 is, mind you.
stevef

Post by stevef »

Thanks for the reply, it's a very good point and I hadn't spotted that. I just rmemebr asking about the supply when I brought the synth, and was told it should be OK - obviously not. I'll get myself a proper one and see if that's OK. fingers crossed I haven't screwed the SH-201 up!

Any ideas on the best place to get one. The only one I could find on the internet is from Thomann?

Cheers for your help.
zedius

Post by zedius »

Well, you can probably get the official one from Roland. I called them and got them to mail me some extra knobs and stuff, and it was quite easy to do. However, any 9v adapter with the proper plug, current rating, and polarity should do. I would be inclined to go to "The Source" and get one of their generic 9v adapters with 1000mA current capacity. They have reversible polarity too. I have one of these, and it's also great for testing out other gear. Like if buddy tries to sell you a drum machine without an adapter or whatever, you can test it.

"The Source" is a Canadian thing. the 240 on your Boss adapter implies to me that you are in Eu somewhere? There should be an equivalent general electronics store. Circuit City?
stig

sh-201 power supply

Post by stig »

you should be using a psb1u power supply these are available from

spares@roland.co.uk

about £17.00

cheers
stevef

Post by stevef »

Sprry for the late response, but thanks for the advice. I got one from Roalnd spares, and it's all working fine now. Phew!

Cheers.