Bass click/fuzz

Forum for SH-201
zedius

Bass click/fuzz

Post by zedius »

I've been noticing some fuzz upon releasing the keys of my sh-201. I'm wondering if it's something with mine, or if other people notice this on theirs.

Should note that I am using headphones right now, so I'm not sure if this is especially audible on my headphones.

Try it on Preset B1 for example:

Choose Preset B1, then try pressing either of the low 2 Cs (with octave buttons unlit)

You should hear a nice bass tone upon pressing the key, and an annoying click/fuzzy sound upon release.

If you still can't hear it, try tapping the key as you slowly twiddle the cutoff frequency between 9:00 to 11:00.
zedius

Re: Bass click/fuzz

Post by zedius »

Is nobody else hearing this?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sorry, I have no 201 but are you sure this is not how the patch is programmed? I.e. does this happen on all patches or only this one?
zedius

Post by zedius »

It happens on lots of patches. It's just very prominent on that one, so I thought it would be easy to duplicate. The thing that makes it weird is that when the key is on you get a nice tone, and when the key is released it creates a hiss. It's like a noise gate turns off or something.
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

My Korg R3 does that as well. The amp release envelope being set to zero is what's causing it. Just put a little release on it and it will get rid of that pop.
zedius

Post by zedius »

Thanks for the response. It's a shame if I can't get rid of it without adding release. The thing that makes me think I can is that it doesn't exist while solo/legato is on. I probably need look into what exactly that does.
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

Having never owned an actual analog machine, my assumption is that it's due to the nature of VA synthesis, much like when you get aliasing at high and low frequencies.

My guess is that while in solo/legato, it's not making that noise because the synth's sound engine is constantly "on", despite the fact that it doesn't sound that way due to the amp settings. In poly mode, the synth has to retrigger the sound engine each time you press a key. That noise at the end may be from the sound engine actually turning itself "off"
zedius

Post by zedius »

It's quite possible. Thanks for the support, this has bugged me pretty badly. I actually found that I can add just a tiny bit of release to get rid of the noise, and it's really inaudible anyway.

So thanks, that worked! :)