Considering buying the SH-201 - A few questions for users

Forum for SH-201
ryanmoffett1

Considering buying the SH-201 - A few questions for users

Post by ryanmoffett1 »

1. Can the SH-201 be used as a USB-MIDI controller to control other virtual instruments (VSTi, AU, Reason 4.0, etc?). It looks like it could be a pretty versatile control surface, allowing me to control other virtual instrument synths with controls that visually represent what I would want them to be on the virtual instruments. I'm assuming mapping would have to take place in the host applications and not on the SH-201, correct?

2. If it can be used as a USB-MIDI controller, is there a comprehensive listing of CC messages it supports? Does the D-Beam only affect the local sound engine or would it transmit controller messages, for example?

I'm pretty much sold on it as a stand-alone synth. However, I have a XIOsynth which I originally bought as a controller/synth and it works well, but I'm looking for something that would give me more control surface options, even if it isn't as flexible. For the most part, when I would be using it as a controller, it would be inside of Propellerheads Reason 4.0, but occasionally the built-in synths in Logic Studio, Live Studio and maybe a few VSTis.
Re-Member

Re: Considering buying the SH-201 - A few questions for user

Post by Re-Member »

You can certainly use the SH-201 as a USB MIDI controller, the but CC messages it sends out are very limited. The link below has a MIDI Implementation chart.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_supp ... iCncd=1076

I do all my music on an external digital recorder, so I'm not really familiar with VSTi settings.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

I don't know if the SH-201 will fit your needs! It's a very basic synth, easy to learn and intuitive but as a controller you can have better ones.

If you want a real controller for VST then go for AKAI MPK 49 or other manufacturer like ERIDOL, NOVATION .........

IF you want a synth and controller all in one so go for NOVATION XIO-Synth or X-Station. These are also the ones I would choose.

The absolut top gear is the ACCESS Virus TI2...... but it is in an other price range :)
ryanmoffett1

Post by ryanmoffett1 »

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't very patient. I went out and bought one (new in box from Sam Ash for $499, thought it to be a good deal). I got it set up last night and played around with it inside of Live and Reason and I think it will suit me fine. I spend a decent amount of time in Reason and I wanted something that allowed me to map ADSR/Cutoff/Resonance/OSC1 Pitch/OSC2 Pitch and so on to those controls on the virtual synths in Reason. That was dead simple to do and it worked really well (one exception, I wish it transmitted CC for things like waveform changes, etc). I also played around with it controlling some of the native Live instruments like Analog, and something will need to be tweaked there, but I was expecting that. I already have a Xio and it is a great synth/controller combo, but I wanted to add something that more of a full size board with a better control layout. I think I found that in the SH-201. For the price, I believe I got what I was expecting to get.