Imitating early 70s synths

Forum for SH-201
socprof

Imitating early 70s synths

Post by socprof »

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I am a big fan of progressive rock, and I bought the SH-201 to recreate the sounds of classic analog synths used by progressive rock bands.

So here is my question: I read recently that part of the distinct sound of the Minimoog came from the instability of its oscillators. I assume the same was true of other early 70s synths. Is it possible to recreate this effect on the SH-201 by using the LFOs set to random to modify the pitch of each oscillator? To do a Minimoog imitation, this would require 3 oscillators each with a separate fluctuation pattern. Of course, this would require dual voice mode.
dbijoux

Re: Imitating early 70s synths

Post by dbijoux »

I think what they meant by distinct sound was a nice way of saying, "#@(*$ is out of tune again!"

It sounds like you are well on your way to making some choice noises. I'm not sure random LFO will be that effect you are looking for, tho, definitely give it a try. Random will cycle the different waveforms, which might be better for an evolving patch than mimicking wobble on an oscillator.

To emulate the minimoog, start with 24db filter and go from there. The classic sound comes from a combination of the oscilators used and moreso quality of filters, such is the case for all synths.

Enjoy and welcome.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

It will be enough to detune the oscillators, and modulate the pitch of one of them with a slow random LFO (not S&H, random - they are different). Yes, like dbijoux said, you'll be better with a -24 dB/octave filter. With all this, just try mixing saw, square and pulse waveforms with different pitches (+/- 1/2/3 octaves).
socprof

Post by socprof »

I think what they meant by distinct sound was a nice way of saying, "#@(*$ is out of tune again!"

Well, there is that. :-) I remember hearing an interview with Keith Emerson in which he complained about his Moog synths being very temperature sensitive, which meant that he had to constantly retune them as the temperature rose during a concert.

Anyway, I remembered the article I referred to was the Wikipedia entry, which claimed, "Due to the design of its 24dB/octave filter, its three oscillators, and tuning instabilities which tend to keep the oscillators moving against one another, the Minimoog can produce an extremely rich and powerful bass sound."
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

You pretty much summed it up right there. It's, of course, a highly sought after sound.

Even so, your SH-201 is quite capable of rich, powerful bass too. :D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If you think Minimoog made the most earthshaking bass sound, you are wrong ;-) Compared to USSR's Polivoks, which was made from missile spare parts, it is a child's toy! Here is the proof:
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

And some more:
socprof

Post by socprof »

I don't suppose these missile spare parts included a warhead? :-) Yes, it sounds pretty cool, and I have to admit that I had never heard of it before. Thanks for the tip!
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/polivoks.php

It looks like you could launch a missile with it.

B4D
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

Man if I'm ever in Russia I'm hittin the pawn shops, I'd love to have one of those beasts :) It would be kind of fun not being able to read the knobs!
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Yes polyvoks were never matched in terms of pure raw bass power. The filter is very crude and much more aggressive than moog.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

This is a knife in my heart... I sold it as I thought I didn't need it really and it was taking too much space... But man I miss it so badly. Polivoks is an amazing instrument. I was even able to chat with it's author, Mr. Kuzmin - he is such a great person! I hope I can get another Polivoks in the future. Maybe from the guy I sold it to.