Is my Sh201 Stuck?

Forum for SH-201
Jay-

Is my Sh201 Stuck?

Post by Jay- »

EDIT: Re seating every internal ribbon fixed it.
However does this have a memory lock or something?

It plays fine but I cant change "USER" and "PRESET" unless I use the soft editor.

Also OSC 1 is completely lit up and some other areas its hard to change the lights.

Am I stuck in some mode?

Also if I try to Restoring the original settings (Factory Reset) by pressing preset and user and powering on, the write and cancel buttons do not light as stated below. Instead everything blinks.

Restoring the original settings (Factory Reset)
You can restore the user patches and phrases (p. 24) and arpeggio settings (p. 66) to the factory-set condition.
When you carry out a Factory Reset, the user patches, phrases, and arpeggio settings you’ve created will
disappear.
1. While together holding down both the PRESET and USER buttons, switch on the SH-201.
The WRITE button and CANCEL button will blink.
2. Press the WRITE button.
If you decide to cancel, press the CANCEL button
magellan

Re: Is my Sh201 Stuck?

Post by magellan »

I am kind of in the same boat. I'm trying to do a factory reset, but when I hold the preset & user buttons while powering on, the write and cancel buttons do not blink. buttons A through 8 do blink though. This is very frustrating.
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Maybe the internal battery that keeps the patches in memory needs to be replaced...
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Maybe the internal battery that keeps the patches in memory needs to be replaced...
magellan

Post by magellan »

Could be...I didn't even know there was an internal battery in it. I dropped it off yesterday to be looked at so hopefully it won't be a big deal to get fixed. If it is the internal battery, would that mean that I would lose the 32 presets patches?
FaschingsPrinz

Post by FaschingsPrinz »

I´m having the same problem.
But with my 201 the TAP and the OCT- button did quit working.

Did changing the battery solve the problem for you.
And if so, which type of battery do I need and where do I have to put it?

Best regards,
and many thanx in advance,

Marcus
jumbojock

Post by jumbojock »

Uncanny.

My EDIT and preset 7 buttons do not work. Also the FX, preset 6 and preset 8 keys' red lights light up but are very dim. Does anyone please have a fix for this? I notice a post above by Jay:

"EDIT: Re seating every internal ribbon fixed it."

Please could you elaborate a little more?

Magellan, if you get a resolution, please post. This sticky key situation I don't believe is linked to an internal battery issue.

jj
jumbojock

Post by jumbojock »

SORTED!

I opened the 201. I also have photos - how do I post them? There are around 28 screws to remove in order to remove the bottom.

On opening the synth, it turned out that all my disfunctioning switches were on a single circuit board. This meant removing all of the switches and knobs to the right of the word NUMBER on the top of the keyboard in order to allow the circuit board to be removed from inside the synth.

There are various white ribbon cables that connect to the various circuit boards. If your problem is with anything to the left of the NUMBER label then removing the knobs is not necessary.

Next, I removed the 14 (?) screws holding on the circuit board which gave me access to the other side of the ribbon cable. I made sure that that was reseated correctly, connected the power and voila, it worked. All the red lights are now bright and, more importantly, I can select Preset 7 and EDIT both Delay and Reverb. At every stage of the reassemble, I also checked functionality.

It does raise the question of build quality though and the transportability of the synth. This is not the only time I've heard of this fault with the 201. I'm just happy to have it back again.

jj
dope505069

Post by dope505069 »

I have the exact same problem but with one of the worst buttons to lose the rec button light has gone dim and record don't work i have never transported to a gig so it definetley has to be build quality im abit upset about it cause im one of those ocd people when it comes to looking after my equipment and wouldn't even let a friend play it things like that so yeah do you think i should open it up and try the cables to?
FaschingsPrinz

Post by FaschingsPrinz »

Hallo jumbojock,

THANK YOU SOO MUCH for your guide.
I did as you told and was able to solve my problems with the not reacting buttons on my 201.
Since I bought the synth, the 201 was just sitting on the rack; never moved it. never giged with it.
No idea how the cables could have come loose.
Maybe some sort of "corrosion", even though the cables where shining blank.

I just had to open all bolts from the bottom of the 201.
If you should have fears to open all the bolts, because of beeing worried that something internal will fall appart when loosening the bolts.
No need for that fear.
Everything stays in place after loosening all the bolts on the bottom.
The knobs on the front of the 201 can be pulled easiely without the need of tools.

Inside the 201 there are some WHITE RIBBON-CABLES.
These cables seem to be the problem, because they are only plugged inside the plugs ?!?
So trying to pull the plugs does not work.
You will have to PULL THE RIBBON-CABLES from the WHITE "PLUGS" itself !!?
The BLACK ribon-plugs work as expected (here you can pull the plugs)
To the right there is a plug with just 4 to 5 cables (no ribbon-cable) with a white plug (the pitch-bender is connected to this).
Here you can pull the plug too.
But on all the other white ribon-cables you will have to pull the cable from the plug.

Strange feeling doing that, but after having pulled all the calbes on the bord which did not react correctly, cleaning (with a cloth) the contact-area of the cables and re-inserting the calbes into the plugs EVERYTHING is WORKING AGAIN.

Thanx to jumbojock!
Without his guide I would have never been brave enough to do so.