SH 201 vs FANTOM XA ?

Forum for SH-201
dri66

SH 201 vs FANTOM XA ?

Post by dri66 »

I have 2 tricky questions :

If you have like I have a FANTOM XA , and you would like to keep it due to the build in patches and PSW sounds.
Is it stupid (double use) to bye a SH 201 ?

The idea is to keep the FANTOM for the PIANO sound and STRINGS, and use the SH 201 has a real synthesizer.
I think I can also use the FANTOM like a synthesizer , but It will be more complicated. The SH 201 is more user friendly.

Correct me if I am wrong , if you think a other easy synth will match better with the FANTOM, just let me know ;)

Best Regards,
Didier.
dbijoux

Re: SH 201 vs FANTOM XA ?

Post by dbijoux »

No, I think you covered it pretty well there. The Fantom has a wider range of sounds because it's a Rompler; that is at the core of the sound engine is a wave sample stored in memory. The SH-201, on the other hand, is an analogue modeling synth. It's still digitally controlled, but closer to the 'real' thing as it creates the sin, square, pwm, saw, etc. waves.

Now, if you were to get the SH-201, I think it could give you a better understanding of the Fantom too. Turning knobs is a bit more intuitive than scrolling through edit screens, although essentially they are very similar functions.

Sound wise, you have it pretty much down too. The SH is going to give you a closer representation of pure analog sounds, allow you to modify them on the fly, etc. While the Fantom is the go to machine for acoustic instruments - again because of the samples.

One cool thing about the combination is that you'll be able to plug the Fantom into the SH-201 and use the filters.

Is it the best counterpart for the Fantom? It might be if you want a new board at a decent price that's covered under warranty and only have room for 49 keys. It will certainly open up your world to analog and it can make nice sounds.

Obviously, it's not a Virus, vintage Moog, or JP-8000, but it can get you there.
dri66

Re: SH 201 vs FANTOM XA ?

Post by dri66 »

Thank you for this useful information , I know what I will do this week-end ....
I will go to my music store and order a SH 201 ;)

Best Regards,
Didier.