Using the SH-201 with a vintage sequencer

Forum for SH-201
hothero

Using the SH-201 with a vintage sequencer

Post by hothero »

Hi,

I am new to midi - and am trying to use my SH-201 as the main sound module with a very old sequencer - the Alesis MMT-8.

Simple question - that I cannot seem to find the answer for:

Is it possible to make the 201 play different or "ensemble" sounds, using such a sequencer? The sequencer has up to 8 recordable tracks.

I would assume I would need to set the midi channels for different sounds, but is this possible? As it is, whenever I change the sound on the keyboard, it is a global change for all the tracks, obviously defeating the purpose of multi-tracking....Am I missing something here? Do I need to buy 8 keyboards to get 8 different sounds playing simultaneously?
dbijoux

Re: Using the SH-201 with a vintage sequencer

Post by dbijoux »

No, what you have in the SH-201 is a virtual analog synthesizer. It is not a multitimbral workstation that can produce more than one part at a time.

In effect, yes, if you would like to compose an 8-piece analogue orchestra using your Alesis you would need eight SH-201's.

Rather, you might consider a multi-tracking solution using your computer as a DAW with programs such as Sonar, Cubase, Ableton, etc. This would be a typical setup where you would record live audio for each track. Additionaly, you could sequence the performance using MIDI data recorded by your Alesis -- more likely you would use the DAW. By using MIDI, it would allow you to make changes to the notes, values, controller data, etc. before you committed the take to a 'final' audio recording.

Also, with a DAW you could further open up your sound creation possiblities by using the SH-201 as a MIDI controller that could play Virtual Instruments(softsynths) hosted in the software.

Hope this gives you some ideas to think about :)
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

You could also do a keyboard split and adjust your midi accordingly which would give you two seperate sounds. Other than that you are gonna need some more keyboards or sound modules. I see rack mount Roland and others on Craigslist all the time for cheap.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

A keyboard split wouldn't really be like another instrument as multiple channels wouldn't control seperate parts. I guess it's possible to sequence on two tracks, but transposing and such seems like a mess. On that note tho, does each part have access to both OSC or are these assigned one to each layer?
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

"A keyboard split wouldn't really be like another instrument as multiple channels wouldn't control seperate parts."

Well, if you had a patch that had a split and you sequenced out a note on C1 and another on C6 its gonna play two different sounds, pretty sure about that.