Comparing the SH to others

Forum for SH-201
synth_lover

Comparing the SH to others

Post by synth_lover »

Just out of curiosity, I've been looking at other synthesizers lately and I'm interested in two in particular, the Korg Radias and Novation x-Station 49 and I'm wondering how those two compare to the SH-201 (sounds wise) Any body have those synths ? Would you give up your SH for either ?? Thanks.
Zylfrax791

Re: Comparing the SH to others

Post by Zylfrax791 »

I messed around with an X-Station 49 and now I really want to find a used one. I have a little Xiosynth so I was familiar with the interface and function but the X-Station has so many more features. I got my SH-201 prior to knowing about the X-Station because I liked the super saw lead sound that it makes is so rich and screechy. What I do like about the X-Station is that its an audio interface and the arpeggiator section is sick with the x-gate and just fun in general. Plus its USB and/or battery powered.

Don't know anything about the Korg but given the choice between the SH-201 and the X-Station I'd have to chose the Novation because it does more but I still like the simplicity and organic feel of the SH-201.

That said, I want a Virus TI though... lol...
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Thanks for the reply, zyl. I find that X-station tempting too. But it's nice to have something simple like the SH. I think it's worth keeping just for that.
Yeah I know. That Virus synth is crazy. But it's like four times the price of an SH-201. I'll just stick with soft synth until the Virus is around a 1000 bucks, but I know by then it will be outdated.
squeak_D

Post by squeak_D »

Also keep in mind the keybed on the Novation is going to be far superior. The beds on the Novations are semi-weighted keybeds made by Fatar (with aftertouch).

I also have the Novation Xio. Great sounding synth..., disgraceful quality in key action though. I too have been considering an SH-201. I've played it many times and really like it. What I really like about the SH-201 is it's layout. It's not MENU driven.., and there are knobs, buttons and slider all over the thing. So many parameters have direct access from the panel without having to toggle between banks of parameter or menus.

The low number of presets doesn't bother me in the slightest (as it does some).., but I don't buy a VA synth for presets.., I buy it to create patches (as they're designed to do).
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

"The low number of presets doesn't bother me in the slightest (as it does some).., but I don't buy a VA synth for presets.., I buy it to create patches (as they're designed to do)."

Yeah, I totally agree. Every time I turn the SH-201 on and start messing with the knobs I get something new and sick. Actually with the Xiosynth too. Can't wait until my Virus TI gets here.... the sickness will really begin....

My first synth was an XP-50 and while it made some really nice Vox, Strings and Pads sounds the menu system was strange. I see XP-50,60 & 80's on Craigslist in my area occasionally and I can't believe how much people want for them. You can spend another couple hundred and find a used Fantom that will do everything the XP would and 10 times more.
tallyho

Post by tallyho »

i bought both my sh201 and x-station 25 on the same day two years ago, both new. two different synths really, its hard to say which is my favourite although i think its easyer to fit the x-station into the mix, to be honest its probably a better machine, nice and solid sounds, great effects. the sh201 has a great personality though, i never got to grips with the software editing though, although i think it is a driver problem. a comparison i am very intertested in hearing about though is the sh201 Vs jp8000. is the same sound engine used, the jp8000 is a modern day classic and i was thinking of flogging my near mint 201 and getting a 8000.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

The concept of the SH201 is not bad bur there are some bad aliasing in there, terrible...... just my 2 cents.

i hope that the future version the SH-201 Mk2 would get better programmed oscillators, all the effects can be chosen from the front panel and not only per software, a small display (one row!!), better construction quality (happy plastic).

The best combination is to get the x-station and the JP8080 rack version (instead of SH-201). The JP has now the same price than the SH-201.
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Thanks all for the replies. I was tempted to buy a Novation X-49 but I'm trying to resist. I was looking at one at Tom Lee Music but I didn't like the build quality. Feels really cheap compared to the SH. I didn't get to check the sounds though 'cause it wasn't hooked up. Only a couple of videos on Youtube so I don't know what it really sounds like. I'm thinking nothing a soft synth can't emulate.

Zylfrax, is the Fantom good for Trance ? Does it come close to the Virus ?
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

"Zylfrax, is the Fantom good for Trance ? Does it come close to the Virus ?"

If Trance music had flutes and saxaphones in it then yes... lol... Seriously though, you are comparing a straight up analog modeling synth against a workstation. Comparing a Fantom to a Virus is like comparing a work truck to a sport car, the work truck has lots of features and is practical but the sports car is more fun to drive but you can't haul anything.

If you wanted to you could sequence out an entire really clean sounding Trance song on a Fantom. You'd probably have to buy some samples as well to make it sound decent. It has some nice drum kits, strings and lead sounds plus an arpeggiator section and sampling capability of course.

However, as far as workstations go I think right out of the box a Yamaha Motif is more oriented towards electronic music in general. I've spent probably a couple hours on both the Fantom and the Motif in the music store and they both have strong points.

Needless to say, the Novation is a completely different unit. If you had a DAW already set up in your computer then youre gonna get way more "Tranceyer" sounds from the Novation. I'd go back to the music store and ask them to plug it in and give you some headphones and leave you alone for an hour. Youll see that it makes all those really fat analog arps and sounds much closer to what you want.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

@ synth_lover

The Fantom is a complete other instrument than a Virus. The virus is indeed a trancy synth with also many other possibilities, like sounding like a "real" analog.

I have a Fantom X and SRX-05, SRX-08 which gives my more trancy/techno basic sounds but it's still not a virus. The Fantom is a nice complement to a virus, SH201 or Novation X-49.

The other point is, the Fantom is a workstation, the SH-201 or Virus are synths.

So, if you are starting into trance techno, and you don't want to put too many $ Dollars in your equipment so the SH-201 or Novation X49 is a starting point.

If you want to become a pro/semipro into trance and money does't matter:

ACCESS Virus and Roland Fantom G/X.

If you will stay amateur/just for fun or you are short of money:

Roland SH-201 or Novation X49 and JP8080.
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Alright. Thank you guys for the info. I think for now I'm going to stick to my SH-201. I see that the Novation has more patches and more Trancy sounds but I like the looks of the SH better. Looks do matter to me because part of the love I have for synthesizers is purely based on looks. And with the addition of a soft synth I think I'll have all the Trance sounds I need. I'm not going to be a pro or nothing. And maybe someday if I hit the jack pot or something I'll get me a Virus or just wait a few years until the used ones are reasonably priced. That thing does look and sound beautiful for sure. Thanks again.