Using SH-201 and Fantom G

Forum for SH-201
dani.squire

Using SH-201 and Fantom G

Post by dani.squire »

I've been trying to use them together, but I just can't!
If I create the exact same patch on both, FG sounds WAY better (probably due to better FX session).

So now I have an SH201 not in use, cause I can't get it to sound as good as my G even on "simple synth sounds".

=(
rbarkhouse

Re: Using SH-201 and Fantom G

Post by rbarkhouse »

You won't be able to get a Minimoog to sound that good either :)

Seriously though, I have both, and I really treat them as two different types of instruments. The SH is for anything that has to really sound analog-y ... the FG has analog sounds too but as you said they sound almost too good! I like the rawness/"phatness" you can get out of the SH, plus don't forget that it's instantly tweakable, in ways that the FG is not (for example, there is no way to really do pulse-width modulation on a rompler), feedback oscillator, supersaw oscillator, lots of things to set it apart sonically from the FG.

Rick
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Maybe you guys can help me because over at the Fantom section nobody seems interested in answering a few questions I have about the Fantom G.

Anyway, are you able to sequence out one shot drum samples and loops in the sequencer of the Fantom G and if so is there a limitation as to the size in MB of the samples themselves? I'm not asking about the actual amount of memory on board either, I know its expandable to 1 GB, I'm asking specifically if I got one that I would be able to load up my killer kicks, snares, claps, hh, and also the other mangled loops I have and sequence them out just like I do in Acid?

BTW, I use alot of midi in the intial design of my phase loops and use either the software synths or hardware synths but in my actual songs its strictly audio only...
dani.squire

Post by dani.squire »

You're right Rick. I'm using it just in one song, where I have to change the LFO amp depth and freq a lot of times.

But I'm almost giving up carring a second board to every gig just because of ONE song!
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

But it's sooooo light! ;)

Yeah if you're just using it for one part of one song then yeah it's a little bit of overkill... analog synth is a big part of my sound in every song so I use it all the time (well, now I use my JP-8000 since it's back from the dead) :)

Zylfrax791: since I'm in the SH201 forum I feel safe in saying -- stick with Acid, you're just gonna be disappointed with the FG's sequencer (IMO)... the G has unmatched sound and performance features but the sequencer is a huge let down to me.
dani.squire

Post by dani.squire »

It's not just the SH...
If i bring it together with the G I can't take my V-Stand, cause I don't have the second layer for it... I have to use a heavy (and ugly - lol) 2 Keyboard stand.

Damm... =(