Using SH-201 sounds in Reason 4.0

Forum for SH-201
Smith_

Using SH-201 sounds in Reason 4.0

Post by Smith_ »

Hello everyone,

I searched for this topic and couldn't find it, so I hope this isn't a duplicate thread. I've had an SH-201 for a while, and I've become rather familiar with all of the controls and such. I'd like to use its sounds in Reason 4.0, but I'm not sure how (if it is even possible). I know the synths included with Reason are superior to the SH-201, so I should probably just learn how to use them, but I'd really like to be able to play/record my SH-201 in Reason 4.0. Is this possible? If it is possible, could anyone please describe how?

Thanks,

Smith
Zylfrax791

Re: Using SH-201 sounds in Reason 4.0

Post by Zylfrax791 »

You can't record audio into Reason because it isn't a DAW. Think you could probably shoot midi to your SH-201 but I'd have to ask why when you have three onboard synths already.

I understand where you are coming from. Reason has a steep learning curve and you probably just want to make music and have fun instead of dragging all those virtual cables around on the back of their virtual rack... lol...

I was a big into Rebirth when it came out and had a lot of fun despite how crappy it sounded but when they came out with Reason I tried the demo and was like HUH?

If you want a simple easy to understand DAW that you can jump right into and record your SH-201 plus sequence midi and load any number of VST plugins just get ACID PRO 7. I taught my 8 year old how to use it in like 20 minutes and he goes apeshit on it now so I'm thinking anyone with a shred of talet could figure it out.

I'm sure Logic and Pro Tools do a lot more and give you that fuzzy feeling of being like a mixing guru but at the end of the day the final output from either one is still the industry standard 44.1 16 bit Stereo anyway so I'll spend that $700 on something else.

Don't try to make the SH-201 into something its not though. IMHO its strength is a keyboard to perform live with some scorching leads with lots of realtime control with the D-Beam and all the knobs. All I did when I bought it was loaded the patch editor and librarian on my older macbook and sifted through all the patches from roland and here, found the 32 I liked best, loaded them up with bank A being Leads, bank B with Strings, bank C has some Pads and bank D follows up with some bass sounds and a few SFX I liked, tweaked them to my taste a its ready to add the solos for my songs live.
Smith_

Re: Using SH-201 sounds in Reason 4.0

Post by Smith_ »

Thanks for the advice. Ya, I know I'm kinda just being lazy and I should just learn how to use the software synths. I'll try Acid out though.

Thanks,

Smith