general help

Forum for SH-201
jquinlan

general help

Post by jquinlan »

okay, I've had my SH-201 for a few months now and I screw around on it but I don't feel I'm using it to its full potential. I don't feel like I spend enough time actually creating sounds and I would like to possibly record some synth and guitar and such just for my own amusement. I'm also not familiar with how the sh-201 and my computer can work together; this means, using library of noises, midi's, recording etc. I'm not even entirely sure how they would be connected.

basically I'm looking to do more than hook my synth up to my guitar amp and play some catchy lines. I have read through the manual a couple of times but have found it's really not all that helpful.

so I'm looking for any general guidance or information, specific knowledge on the synth's uses with my computer (windows vista 64 bit, by the way), some info on midis/recording or a tutorial I could get somewhere.

thanks very much, any info is appreciated!

bonus question:
what's a decent free (or easy to obtain as free) program I could use to make drum beats if I did decide to start recording?
dbijoux

Re: general help

Post by dbijoux »

Glad to hear you looking to expand what you are doing. First and foremost you need some software to record with. Whether that be freeware such as Audacity, budget DAW like Reaper.fm, or full fledged production suite like Sonar 8 Producer or Cubase 5, is all depending on what your budget and goals are. All the DAWs will have you covered for MIDI sequencing and Audio.

I think you are quite limited since you are using Vista64. I don't believe there are USB drivers out for your SH yet and it may be difficult to find an audio interface that supports 64bit too. Maybe you have a copy of XP and can setup a dual boot. Sadly, without the drivers or an audio/midi interface you can't connect to your computer at all.

As for MIDI information and tutorials, you can google and find a ton of resources.

Wiki might be a good place to start.

There are also still a few freeware programs out there for drums. You'll have to search and find one you like. Which reminds me, another DAW many new producers get schooled on is Fruity Loops.

As for questions on your board and making sounds, you found a good place to ask them.

Good luck and enjoy.
jquinlan

Post by jquinlan »

Would you be able to suggest software that is perhaps the best to use? Ideally free or obtainable as free (I might be able torrent Sonar 8, but a suite program might be difficult to use for a beginner).

I have a laptop that has 32 (that's the right number, right?) so I can use that if needed. That would perhaps be better, actually. I believe the SH-201came with drivers and a librarian/editor, but I'm not even sure what the latter two are or how to use them.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Yes, load all the drivers and software on your compatible laptop. Alternatively, they can be downloaded from Roland. That will get you started.

I would use Audacity to begin recording audio. It's free and nice program.

I'm not going to suggest you torrent anything. Quite the contrary, if you are serious about this you need to find a better way. It's possible.

Actually, add a few drum loops and what you already have should keep you busy for some time.