Considering an SH-201

Forum for SH-201
Dsnow

Considering an SH-201

Post by Dsnow »

Hey all,

So Ive had a Juno-G for a few years, but Im finding that I dont use alot of its functionallity and I have a strong preference for electronic sounding patches rather than accousitc facsimiles - so Im thinking about getting an SH-101.

A few questions I cant seem to find answers for -

Can I split the keys between 2 different patches? I play in a band and I often need to have a bass on the low octaves and lead on the top.

How is this synth for pads and synthy strings? My band is sort of new wave/post punk and I use alot of pads and electronic-ish sounding strings so I need to make sure this unit will fill that role before i replace my juno.

How sturdy is it? Any problems with the casing or knobs? I do take care of my gear, but between gigging and rehearsals it would see alot of travel.

Cheers!
Dsnow

Re: Considering an SH-201

Post by Dsnow »

Okay, I found an answer to my first question in this forum, please disregard. Its amazing what you can find if you actually use the search engine, isnt it?

I would still appreciate any opinions on the other questions though. Thanks!
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

@ Dsnow

I understand your worries and if you are looking for electronic sounding patches the SH-201 will do it perfectly.

You have written in your post SH-101 but I think you mean the SH-201, right?

Yes, you can split the keys in a higher and lower part and select for each a patch, like you said a bass on the lower and a lead on the higher.

You will do the pads and synthy strings in one movement and don't forget there are 400 patches (sounds) aviable on the Roland homepage, ready for download, yes 400 patches!!

The SH-201 is light and easy to carry around and packed in a case there will be no problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, you are underestimating your JUNO-G, my friend ;-) It actually can do way more electronic-type sounds than the SH-201, even though it's not a virtual analog synth. It's patch structure consists of 4 tones, each of which has it's own filter, lots of envelopes and LFOs, including a step modulator LFO, and it can even route them into an effects processor. Plus you can resample anything and recycle it through the synth engine.

Please see this book, this will open all the amazing power of the JUNO to you:
http://www.sinevibes.com/fantom-tweakbook/

Just listen to the sound demo on that page - all these examples are possible to create on your JUNO-G.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Yup, I did in fact mean SH 201. Thanks for the opinon Atziluth!

@Artemiy- Yeah, the Juno-G has kept me pretty happy for the past few years and Ive spent time programming a number of decent electronic patches. I will definitely check out the provided link though, Im sure there are things Im missing.

One of the reasons Im considering the switch though is that I miss the simplicity of alot of synths I started on. I want to go back to a basic, intuitive knob-twisting. While the juno-g is certainly powerful, alot of times playing with my band I find its interface clunky and more complex than what I actually need or want.

Another reason is my lcd screen is a big piece of... something unpleasant and smelly. Its been cutting in and out for months, now its mostly gone. I am looking into getting it fixed, but my band plays regular gigs and I cannot be without a synth for months.

Im not gonna ditch my juno-g, I still like it alot. But while its out of commission I thought this might be a good time to pickup something new, and more direct to what I use my synth for.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, creating sounds with dedicated controls is a big difference, I agree. Although for the JUNO-G you'd need a good couple of hundred of them :-) But the SH-201 is a really cool synth, seriously. I played with it live on a few expo's and really loved it.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Oh nice, thats not bad at all... I think it may be time to ditch prudence and bust out the credit card.

Cheers!