How satisfied are you with the SH-201?

Forum for SH-201
synth_lover

How satisfied are you with the SH-201?

Post by synth_lover »

Just curious to know if you guys are happy with this synth and its sounds. I go on Youtube often to see what other synths sound like and I see a lot of praise for synths like the Novation X-station, MicroKorg/XL, Korg r3, and even the Alesis Micron -which really looks like a toy- while I see a lot of dissing for the SH. I know some of the other synths have some really nice sounds but do you think the SH sounds are that bad when compared to the others ?
kunnyfx7

Re: How satisfied are you with the SH-201?

Post by kunnyfx7 »

Well, I'm very pleased with my SH-201. I know there are better ones but I DO LOVE my SH. very easy to tweak in live sitution. Some times people buy synth they Don't know at all and then, they start complaining about it even comparing the SH with a nord lead or a mini moog voyager.
franko

Post by franko »

it's a fantastic machine, The SH-201 bashers either thought they were buying something different or aren't patient enough to learn how to use it properly.
socprof

Post by socprof »

Some of the negative reviews I've read are by people who clearly haven't read the manual (based on their factual mistakes) and probably don't own one. If you do a Google search there is a great review by Nick Magnus, who spent several years as the keyboard player for ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. He basically says that anyone into classic Roland synths should be happy with what they can achieve with the SH-201.

I've had mine for a year. The more time I spend exploring its capabilities, the more I like it. Yes, occasionally I'll get frustrated because I can't produce a particular sound I've heard on an album, but then I'll accidentally create a cool sound that leaves me stunned. I once was fooling around with super saw combined with a triangle wave an octave below, turned off the filters, set the amp attack to minimum...and suddenly I had a harpsichord! I played it for my wife and asked her what it reminded her of, and she answered "It sounds like a harpsichord." Awesome!
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

The SH-201 works great for me as well. I also have the JP8000, JP8080, MS2000R, and Yamaha AN1x. The SH-201 fits in nicely although it is similar to the JP-8000 somewhat. I'm particularly fond of the computer editing aspect of the SH-201 the most. It's great.
synth_lover

Post by synth_lover »

Thank you guys for answering my question. While I know other similarily priced synths have some sounds that this synth lack, the fact that some of the most famous bands and artists use this synth proves it is a worthy one.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

i love my sh 201 and i have hardly used it,but i know what it can do.
i was told by a bloke who worked in a music equipment shop the 201 was a pile of shit.
unbelievable.oh well i think as long as you like the sound of it,that is all that matters.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

socprof wrote:…If you do a Google search there is a great review by Nick Magnus…
Here it is:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/a ... dsh201.htm
musella

Post by musella »

I love my Sh-201 !
Very easy to create good sounds.

I've bought it in november 2017. I know it's late, but there's no time to discover this crazy synth.
I've also Integra 7, JD-XA, Roland S-50, An1x, Cs2X, Casio XW-G1 (very very crazy synth !!!!), Ewi-4000S, Moog Theremini, Waldorf Blofeld rack, Digital Piano Roland KR-103, Roland HPD-15 and TR-08 (for percussions), Roland U-220 and I've just bought a Boutique D-05 (yes, I love Roland).

The SH-201, it's the most easy to use ! And with the Editor, all become very clear.
I don't play in live, only in my studio so, using Editor instead of synth hardware, I preserve buttons, sliders etc... Sometime I play directly on the synth to prevent oxydation and humidity problem (I live on a tropical island).

I've noticed that SH-201 pots are not so robusts.
syevad2

Post by syevad2 »

I don't think I'd ever be able to get some very realistic guttural sounds (think of Mongolian Monks or Sardinian Pastoral songs) with my other 2 synths (Trinity Plus or the Six Trak)...the acoustic palette is very wide, very happy so far.

I miss a display to keep track of my patches - I have to use pen and paper for that until I get hooked to my PC and use the library - meanwhile I've lost some patches - it wouldn't happen if there was a display...