Roland SH-201

Forum for SH-201
Skamke

Re: Roland SH-201

Post by Skamke »

Hellow Nord72,Dsnow,

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciated it.
I'm french as you know so its hard for me to understand you exactly.
Here is my Msn Adress : bluntseixal@hotmail.fr
I know that you've got other things to do maybe but i really need this.
So add me please on Msn to talk us and i can send you money for your help it's not a problem.
In Chains

Post by In Chains »

I am having the exact same problem right now and my FL Studio does NOT in fact appear capable of recording my SH-201 which is extremely frustrating as it renders it nothing more than a MIDI controller. I thought this machine could send AND recieve audio and act as a versatile VST interface?

I have my SH-201 connected to the laptop via USB.
ALL drivers are correctly installed.
FL Studio is using SH-201 as a MIDI and as audio input/output under 'ASIO4ALL'.

And when I press a button on the keyboard it is displayed on the piano roll in FL Studio. AND the volume perks up on the mixer channel. But I hear NOTHING and I can record less!

If anybody could help me I would be extremely grateful. I don't see what I am doing wrong. Everything appears set right.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe you can record audio via USB. Nord72 has indicated otherwise, but as far as I am aware USB is only used for sending and recieving MIDI data and I dont see anything in the manual thatl indicates you can send audio from the SH201 through a USB cable.

I would suggest ditching the USB connection and recording using 1/4" outputs. Its easy and you dont need to worry about driver and compatibility issues.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No, the 201 does feature a USB audio interface. There are numerous videos showing that.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Hmmm, yeah I take it back. The specs do clearly indicate the USB capable of MIDI and audio. Scanning the manual though, there is really nothing that elaborates on that.

Well, sorry guys, Im afraid I cant help with that. I would again however suggest that if you have a soundcard with 1/4" inputs, use it. Thats what I do- its easy and its quick.
In Chains

Post by In Chains »

It has a USB audio interface, yes, but I have had a few people reliably inform me that Roland have been misleading and you can't actually RECORD audio from your SH-201 using it.

Where are these videos?
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

Anybody know how result my prob?
SH201 must be open in FL like a VST or Effect?
Thanks
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I shouldn't be stepping in here without and SH-201 or Fruity Loops, but shouldn't the SH-201 interface simply show up as an audio input?

Has nothing to do with VST or Effects.

I'm not sure why you're using ASIO4all unless you've already experienced some mad latency, or compatibility issues that are resolved by ASIO4all.

Keep in mind, ASIO4all is a windows audio hack - it's not a true ASIO Driver, rather for the Fruity Loopers who don't yet have a proper interface.

It sounds like you have at least three interfaces, including Saffire Pro, SH-201 USB, ASIO4all - not to mention your internal soundcard(if you have one). It's no suprise you're confused and Windows is probably unhappy too.

That said, if you can get USB audio to work, you should get a better recording - less noise, maybe less jitter, by going direct w/digital.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

Saffire Pro is my external sound card:
http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_pro_40/

I've got a USB cable to my SH201 at my Saffire Pro.
In my Input Midi Settings i've got choice between:
____ Mappeur Midi Microsoft
____ Pro 40 Midi
____ Roland SH201
____ Synthé.SW Table de sons GS Mic
What i must choice?Im lost...

I need to open SH Editor in FL to record but I can record audio in wave format in my FL only.I would like to have sounds inside my piano roll mate.My touch/notes appears in my FL but without sound.

Anybody can download FL demo and make try with your SH201 please?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

It's a rather nice sound card too. ;)

Ok, so we can confirm your USB-MIDI works.

Have you routed/played back any sound from the computer to the SH-201? In theory, that would confirm your USB-Audio driver is working, but I'm not convinced that's your problem.

Here's the sticky point: In Fruity Loops are you setting up an additional Audio Track specifically to handle the SH-201 audio input?

It's not always obvious to everyone that MIDI/Audio are two different things.

It sounds like you're sequencing MIDI fine. Now, after you have your sequence tracked, notes edited, etc, go back and record again - this time only playback from that MIDI track and arm/record on the [i[new[/i] Audio track you created for the SH-201.

Of course, you could just skip the MIDI completely and play live into an audio track.

PS. Good to hear nothing about ASIO4all. You should be able to use your mfg. drivers for the Saffire without any problem.

One other thought, in your Fruity Loops Input(Mixer) you might be only able to select one audio interface at a time. In that case, you might have to switch from the Saffire(guessing that's your default) to the SH-201 when you record. I'm not so familiar with FL workflow or settings, but hope some of this helps.
In Chains

Post by In Chains »

Well, thankfully I worked something out. Probably incredibly obvious to seasoned FL and MIDI users but I'm new so it took some time :).

Went on to the mixer channel and set the SH as the in, went up to record and selected 'Record audio into the playlist' and bam.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

@dbijoux:
I can record sound from my synth in .wav format but i've not sound inside my piano roll with SH201

I decided to made a video where you could see my problem.
I'm not good into english i think video could help you.
If anybody could reply or make me video it would be awesome...
Don't worry if i don't talk coz my english isn't very good hahaaha...

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/3383229/file.html
or
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fo7tyb

thanks
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

Its Ok now , thanks for all !!!!!!!!
Youhou..... :p
pugface_

Post by pugface_ »

yes the sh-201 can record audio with its "own" driver as the main audio driver in your daw. i do it in cubase and ableton. if you have another audio card then add both this card and the sh-201 audio driver to asio4all. then it can be recorded from its usb out.

the only problem the sh-201 has it does not have a direct monitoring on/off button. so you always have hear the sh-201's real output with phones on or the audio outs. it gets added to the usb out in the daw when added to a mixer channel. but this is easily over come when using another audio card and asio4all.

the external audio inputs can only be recorded mono. thru usb in to the daw and they have to be routed thru the oscillators. the audio filter does not send to the usb output.

all together the sh-201 works best when using another audio card.