Roland SH-201

Forum for SH-201
Skamke

Roland SH-201

Post by Skamke »

Hi,

I use my Roland SH201 with Fruityloops.

When i play a vst like Vanguard,Nexus or others with my computer all is good, i've got sound and i can record.

When i open " SH201 Editor " as VST in Fruityloops and that I play, I've got repetition ( Like a trans effect ). My fader moove on my computer but i've not difference sound.

Could you help me please?
I'm french an i do my best to speak english so be cool with your replyz men.
Thanks in advance
Greetz From France
S-E-A

Re: Roland SH-201

Post by S-E-A »

Is 'local control' on the SH-201 turned off?
It sounds like a MIDI loop of some description..
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

Thanks Man It OK Now Its come from my presets.

But i don't know how record my sounds from Roland Synth to my FL Studio?????
I don't wan't use VST like Nexus or others, i just want to use my synth sounds
anybody can help me Pease? :/
franko

Post by franko »

I record through the line in socket on my laptop. It's the old fashioned way as no midi involved but it works well enough. You could try that?
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

I'm not sure to understand what you mean Franko?
I'll could have my notes inside my Piano Roll of FL Studio?
Could you tell me more...
franko

Post by franko »

well, the "sound" comes out of a 1/4" socket at the back of the synth; you might ordinarily plug that into an amplifier to hear it. Alternatively, you can plug it into the "microphone" or "line in" socket on your sound card. This is typically a 3.5mm socket so you will need a suitable adaptor . You can then record this signal for whatever you want. I'm still pretty much a noob with this sort of thing so there could be a much easier or more versatile method.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

I understand better Franko, Thanks for your effort.
But, with this method i'll have a wav format, no?
Why there isn't a VST with Roland SH 201?
Whats the functions of Librarian?
Thanks for your help
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Yes, thats correct, you would have to record wav files, then import those samples into FL Studio (although Im not sure, perhaps newer versions allow you to record directly into your FL project?)

The SH 201 cannot function like a VST, that is you cannot write a melody using the piano roll and then link that to the 201 and have it recorded into your project file. There is likely a method of sending MIDI data from FL studio, but that would simply trigger the synth, it wouldnt help with recording.

The Librian allows you to organize patches, the Editor allows you to edit patches via PC. These programs will not be of any use loaded into FL.

So basically, if you want to record the SH 201 you'll have to use the traditional method of using a 1/4" cable and 'line in' on your soundcard.

Good luck!
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

I just checked, and it appears you can also record into your PC using USB.

Now, I also suppose you would be able to send MIDI data to the SH 201, then record the playback, but thats a bit of a hassle. By that point I would just play the synth myself and record the live performance.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

My touch/notes appears in my FL (Piano Roll) when i play with my Roland,but i haven't sound in fact, thats the problem.

Here is my config:
- Port USB SH201 -> Port USB SoundCard
- Midi Out SH201 -> Midi In SoundCard
- LMONO OutPut R SH201 (x2)-> Input SoundCard (x2)

FL Studio Options
Options-> Midi Settings -> Input :
-Roland SH201 ( generic controller ) Active
-Saffire Pro ( generic controller ) Active (SoundCard-Saffire Pro 40)

Options-> Midi Settings -> Output :
-Mappeur Midi Microsoft | Microsoft MIDI Mapper
-Synthé.SW table de sons GS Mic [ Software Synthesizer
-Roland SH-201 | Midi Hardware port
-Saffire Pro | Midi Hardware port

Do you think that i've did error with my links?

I want to use this method not for a perfomance/live but just for listen and record my own music/production with FL piano
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Use the following connection and method :

SH 201 USB PC USB (XP with FLStudio, sh 201 driver+editor installed)

Install Asio4all and configure it for your soundcard (low latency vs. buffer size)

Set the wave device inside the Asio4all control panel to SH-201 device (audio)

Set the editor's midi i/o to sh-201 usb (midi)

Use the usb cable for midi i/o and audio i/o as well.

Now You can record and playback midi via usb (piano roll)...and rec/play audio as well (audio tracks)

If FL Studio settings is too complicated for You, try Reaper even.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SH 201 USB PC USB (XP with FLStudio, sh 201 driver+editor installed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SH 201 is connected by USB on XP and driver & editor are installed, so this step is done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install Asio4all and configure it for your soundcard (low latency vs. buffer size)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asio4AllV2.9 is installed.
Saffire Pro audio is Running and Roland SH-201 too. ( Enable )
Latency Compensation are : In 32 Samples / Out 32 Samples

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set the wave device inside the Asio4all control panel to SH-201 device (audio)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand this step.

Set the editor's midi i/o to sh-201 usb (midi)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inside my SH Editor in input/output i ve got choice between RolandSH201 / Saffire Pro / Synthé SW

U cant' make video please?
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

in the Asio control panel use the SH-201 USB audio device ! (forget your soundcard at this point, You DON'T need to connect anything to your soundcard!)
So You can enable/disable it ( the soundcard) it doesnt count.

USB cable will trasfer/ receive midi and audio data (in digital form ) to the DAW host (for.ex FL Studio) via ASIO protocol, but You MUST set the SH-201 USB audio/midi device to active and set the monitoring as well to able to use it (inside FL Studio).

Use the latest Asio4all (there is a newer just google for it).

Sorry I can't make a video, because I don't have a camera, but I think now everything should be clear.
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

And USB audio is full duplex, it means You can monitor your DAW via the SH-201 audio out (phones) it acts like an external USB soundcard!
While SH-201 has external in, you can send other device's audio tracks as well via USB to the PC (mixed with the main 2 track stereo of the sh-201)

SH-201 USB PC USB - DAW (for.ex FL Studio)

This is the full duplex mode.
Skamke

Post by Skamke »

Hellow Nord72,

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciated it.
I'm french as you know so its hard for me to understand you exactly.
I know that you've got other things to do maybe but i really need this.
So add me please on Msn to talk us and i can send you money for your help it's not a problem.