A,D&R Maximum Length in Seconds?

Forum for SH-201
socprof

A,D&R Maximum Length in Seconds?

Post by socprof »

Does anyone know what the maximum length of the attack, decay, and release parameters for the amp and filter envelopes are in seconds? Also, are the controls linear, so that setting the slider halfway up gives you half of the maximum time?

Thanks in advance for any info. I've been reading some books on synth programming, and they give directions for programming different sounds with specific lengths for the A, D and R settings, plus a % for the S setting.
dbijoux

Re: A,D&R Maximum Length in Seconds?

Post by dbijoux »

Mind if I ask what book(s)?

It could be they are just being more specific example than, short attack, long delay. Wouldn't it be milliseconds even? Most of the time, you'll need to adjust to your own needs anyways, so maybe after you read more and more you'll get a feel for their method.
socprof

Post by socprof »

I've been reading Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook, which is probably the most comprehensive book of its kind. He gives the envelope parameters down to the hundreth of a second in some cases.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Huh, thats interesting. Couldnt you just feel it out and listen for it, rather than needing it measured to such a small unit?

Anyhoo, there are no displays on the synth or in the editor that indicate ADRS values in seconds. So honestly, Im not sure. Lots? As far as editing down to the hundreth of a second, I dont think you reach that fine a level of control.

Also, I do not believe the controls are linear. I dont think its exponetial, but towards the higher end of the sliders the values do seem to increase at a greater rate than at the bottom end.
socprof

Post by socprof »

I figure that I'll have to do the final tweaking by ear. But, if the controls were linear and I knew the length of the scale, I would be able at least to move to the approximate setting quickly.

When I get a chance, I think I'll set my digital watch to stop watch mode and find the lengths for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and max.