CS-80 Sounds For the SH-201

Forum for SH-201
Jupiter8fan

CS-80 Sounds For the SH-201

Post by Jupiter8fan »

Hello fellow SH-201 users,
I have (after many hours) created some very convincing (Well in my opinion anyway) Vangelis style Yamaha CS-80 sounds. I know its impossible to get the analog richness of the CS-80, but after hours and literally countless hours of tiny adjustments I have created a brass pad, that has many of the nuances in the sound and the natural detuning effect that made the CS-80 great. If there is any interest I am happy to document how to create this sound. So far I have a bank dedicated to my "emulation", the patch names are as follows, Lead Brass, Warm Strings, Ring Mod lead, Portamento Strings, Electric piano, Poly Brass, Dual Brass, and a motion bass (similar to pulstar).
If there is enough interest I am happy to share this, I cannot offer the files to download, as I am unlucky enough to be running Vista 64bit.
Cheers to all you fellow Roland Users,
Jupiter8fan
socprof

Re: CS-80 Sounds For the SH-201

Post by socprof »

Sounds cool. Sure, I would like to hear your secrets.
In Chains

Post by In Chains »

I would love to hear your aural recepies :).
Crimsonian

Post by Crimsonian »

i'd love to have that :)
dani1400zx

Post by dani1400zx »

Hello, I´m interested on your CS-80 patches. I´ve tried to do mines but they are not very good. I know that reply exact nuances of some sounds are very tedious.
Thank you.

P.S.: here you can download some of my patches --> http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/download/file.php?i...
smokebeast

Post by smokebeast »

I would be ery interested in learning how you created your sounds. I'm just starting to learn how to creat sounds with this synth so any guides or tutorials would be great.
Jupiter8fan

Post by Jupiter8fan »

Hey Guys,
Sorry about the delay in replies. Been pretty hectic these last few weeks.
I don't have a video camera, or a non-vista pc so I cannot upload my patches. Sorry. But.
I'll give you a brief overview of how I went about making my patches.
First Off. These sounds sound very similar to the CS-80 IN MY OPINION it is just my opinion and some people are bound to disagree. Secondly it is impossible to get this synth to sound exactly like a CS-80, and that possibly is a good thing. I don't know about you guys but I sure as hell don't want my synth to detune every time the cat jumps on it - Thats another story. Anyway

The common one for people to try and emulate is the brass lead from the opening theme of blade runner. Instead of following the common setup of saw, saw, detune, ADSR filter. I actually get that thin but detuned sound by using the ring modulator. What I do is select 2 saw waves (not super saw) and detune them slightly. Keep both of them on the same octave. Then apply the ring modulator in the mix section, I then turn the balance knob anti-clockwise until I get a sound thats not too distorted, but has that nice washy-thinness that Vangleis uses. I tend to keep the low frequencies flat, but cutting them or boosting is an easy way to add/take away warmth from patch.
Then In the filter section, I have the attack about a cm up from the complete bottom, the decay at halfway, sustain at the same level as the attack and the release to taste. (Depends on the type of sound that I'm after. As for the actual filter settings, I have a LPF selected, 24db, cutoff at 2oclock, no resonance (add a little to brighten the sound and get a more Chariots of Fire sound) no key follow.
Now depending on what people want determines what to do with the amp. If people (myself included) want this to be a monophonic lead then put the overdrive on the amp. If you want a poly patch, then do not put the overdrive. Take the bite out of the lead by raising the attack slider to taste. I usually have my release slider on 6 (up from bottom) but lower this depending on how much reverb is used. The sustain and decay sliders I have on full.
In the effects section I have a chorus delay, with full depth and the time knob at about 11oclock. The Delay preset is number 7. Reverb i have max depth and usually max time.
I don't use portamento or the pitch envelope.

LFO's; This should sound pretty close to the original, If however you feel it needs that extra oompf (don't ask me to spell that one) I would recommend a vibrato NOTE that it will make the ring mod distort more, however this can have a very nice effect, A bit of tremolo doesnt hurt either. I tend to use sine waves over triangle waves for these settings, as I like the symmetry and sound of a sine lfo better than triangle.

And there you go !!!.
Hope you like my Vangelis styled Blade Runner Theme lead. As I said it sounds pretty accurate in my opinion. Feel free to tweak it to get better sounds. For those of you who are more into the chariots of fire brass sounds, If I get enough interest in after this tutorial I shall do another, because the two are quite different. I also want to note that the strings that I mention, are actually VP330 Stings. They were easy to make but have that great warm rich sound.

So Tell me what you think, If this was helpful I'm happy to write more, when I can find the time. I hopefully will be making some music slides for my new album, so I can put it on youtube. It features many of the sounds that I have told you about.

Be Safe, Be Happy
Until Next Time

Jupiter8fan.
Crimsonian

Post by Crimsonian »

what do you mean you can't upload cause you have vista? nonsense, man! try rapidshare.com or megaupload.com, zip all your sh-201 files into one file and upload it. i'm sure we'd be thankful =)
Jupiter8fan

Post by Jupiter8fan »

Crimsonian, I have vista 64bit, hence my SH201 does not have USB drivers, hence I cannot transfer my SH201 sounds onto the computer. =P
ie. I can't upload them.
Crimsonian

Post by Crimsonian »

I understand =( , well, maybe you could do it at a friend's computer? when you said blade runner it made me wanna have it right away, i love vangelis work. if you figure it out let us know =)
Jupiter8fan

Post by Jupiter8fan »

You should be able to figure that one out from my description, that's the main sound people seem to want, though personally l prefer the ring mod lead from blade runner blues. just have that as your upper patch, and have a pad on the bottom and you should be fine.