Flexibility With The SH-201

Forum for SH-201
rallycapmusic

Flexibility With The SH-201

Post by rallycapmusic »

I just got my SH-201 the other day. Havent really got it set up in my studio yet besides cracking it out the box and listening to some sounds through my headphones. Due to my impulse buying with it on Ebay plus the fact that i got it for a real good price $330, I didnt really take much time out to do HEAVY research on it. From the little research I did do, I couldnt find to much on it that would make it "studio friendly". It seems more like a "live/on stage" type of piece.

This is what I found out and it seems MORE unlikely i would have any use for it!

1. Its NOT multitimbral.

2. I CANT use it as a VST because IM running Vist 64bit which the SH-201 software DOES NOT SUPPORT VISTA 64bit (BUMMER).

My question to you guys is: Is there "ANY" other way to use this thing in a "STUDIO" environment. If not, then its basically useless to me at this point!
dbijoux

Re: Flexibility With The SH-201

Post by dbijoux »

I'll give you 250 for it. ;)

... but, you'll have to define what 'studio friendly' means a little more. Your 'studio' doesn't have an interface? You could use MIDI too.

Maybe Roland will release 64-bit driver so you can take advantage of the digital audio in the 201. Although, even without that you could still route analog audio through the SH filter.

So, what type of music do you make?

It's an SH, of course it's not multi-timbral - rather a Virtual Analog synth. If you're not familiar with making your own sounds, it'll give you some experience. You should be able to come up with something halfway decent.

All in all, the Gaia is coming out now and probably is part of the reason you got a good deal. Still it's a nice starter board to have around, especially if you need synth bass or leads and don't mind the timbre.
rallycapmusic

Post by rallycapmusic »

You got a deal if your serious! Studio friendly as far as being able to sequence with via hardware or software sequencer. Even with an interface, whats my options besides opening up an audio track and hearing it through there? Im STILL not able to lay down midi tracks because its not multitimbral!

I produce mainy hip-hop and pop. I attached a pic of it below.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Well, you're right on that. You could sequence a MIDI track if your interface is able, but it's not a workstation.

Just noticed your auction, you should post a link in the marketplace here.

Good luck and if you don't sell it, there still should be some sound you can get.

ps. It looks great. If it were on my list, I'd seriously jump on it.
cminor

Post by cminor »

It looks like new at 330$, you have done a good deal.
So go for it.
Music doesn't need audio driver, usb-midi...
play with it and you will fall in love or get divorce ;)
Sometimes I miss my old sequencer MC300 (had 2 midi outs)... then I remember the long hours for quantize.... :)))