Where can I get actual numbers for the SH 201?

Forum for SH-201
Raijer

Where can I get actual numbers for the SH 201?

Post by Raijer »

I love this synth, but I was a bit disappointed to find that the specs in the manual were, at best, vague. For example, The filter Cut Off knob has a Min to Max setting. The manual gives these settings a value from 0 to 127. These numbers sound like MIDI settings, but I'm not sure exactly what these numbers translate to in terms of frequencies. The Cut Off knob sets the the cut off frequency, so how, exactly does 0-127 actually translate into specific frequencies? Each of those little tic marks on the Cut Off knob represent a frequency, and I'd really like to know what those frequencies are.

The same question would apply to things like Filter/ADSR settings (again, the manual gives a range of 0-127 instead of actual times in milliseconds).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Where can I get actual numbers for the SH 201?

Post by Artemiy »

Sound designers normally create patches by ear and not by references to precise physical parameter values. Just experiment with your synth and you will memorize how the sound reacts to each knob, and then you will no longer think of any numbers.
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

I agree with Artemiy, but if you really need numbers they might be available when using the software editor? I can't remember.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I don't think so. In any case you can pick a spectrum analyzer to look at the cutoff and resonance for each filter type, and what they do depending on the oscillator waveform and pitch, this is indeed useful for learning.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I agree that using your ears is the most important approach to sound design. But it's not the ONLY approach. Since the invention of the synthesizer, patch recipes have long been a popular trading item between designers.

Patch recipes definitely have their time and place, but in order to use them, you do need to know the specs of your machine. Why Roland choose not to include these actual specs in the manual is a bit mind-boggling, to be honest. The Cutoff knob positions correspond to actual frequencies, and these number specifically make up the specs of the synth. And yet, these important numbers were not included in the specs portion of the manual.
socprof

Post by socprof »

I asked a similar question earlier about maximum length of the A,D & R parameters for the envelopes. No one knew the answer, so I have to test them with a stop watch.

Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook contains a CD to assist in calibrating a synth. I have not tried it yet, so I cannot comment on how effective it is. I can say that it is a great book to own for anyone interested in subtractive synthesis.

http://synthesizer-cookbook.com/

Tony
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Funny enough, I just got Welsh's Cookbook, and I agree it's a great book. It was the book that prompted me to ask this question about the specs in the first place. Certainly, SOMEONE knows the answers, at the very least, the engineers who built the thing know. Why they neglected to print the specs on the spec page is beyond me.

So yeah, it looks like I'll have to go the calibration route, although I just might just try contacting Roland directly, if only to grasp at straws. ;)
socprof

Post by socprof »

I would appreciate hearing what you find out, either from Roland or from your calibrations.

Tony
thepuncher

Post by thepuncher »

Edit:

I just read the first two paragraphs of Welsh's Cookbook and now I want to know..