SH-201 and Logic

Forum for SH-201
Fabo

SH-201 and Logic

Post by Fabo »

i got my SH-201 a weak ago.
and now i got some problems.

i'm using a iMac 2.66GHz 4GB DDR, OS X snow leopard v10.6.3, Logic 9.
the SH-201 is connected thru the USB.

when i installed - SH-201 Editor Version 1.10 Mac OS 10.6 and Earlier
this came up - error. fail to run postflight script for SH-201 script. (something like that).
but i can open the editor.
and when i try to use the editor in Logic the layout is just white. when i click on a button ore something like that the layout is visible.
i can sync the SH-201 whit the editor in Logic.
when i try to record, marks in the piano roll i made, but i can't get any sound.

what should i do to get some sounds?
Vectoso

Re: SH-201 and Logic

Post by Vectoso »

Hey Fabo,

I am experiencing the same error, i am using Cubase 5 in Mac osx 10.5.8, when i open the sh 201 editor has a vsti i get a clean grey screen, there is no buttons at all, when a press a note i hear the sound normal but my cubase do not recognize it.

I know this has something to do with script "postflight" error, an error i get every time i install the editor, anyway i found a way to solve it and by copying some file named "installer.app" to the utilities folder i can get the installation to be successful, but this don't solve the main problem and i can't get my sh201 to work in cubase.

I don't understand because when i run the standalone version of the editor the interface appears correctly, so it has to be some conflict between cubase and the vsti plugin.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help us.

Thank you.

Peace
Fabo

Post by Fabo »

i contacted the swedish support and asked them to help me.
they said that in Logic you need to have a VST to AU adapter. http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5&tab=22

so a installed Adapt, uninstalled the drivers to the SH-201 and installed them again.
the leyout problem was solved. i can see everything every time i open the plug in.

but the sound problem is still there.
i cant get any sound out to my m-audio fast track sound card.
Logic gets the MIDI signal and when i change a wave ore anything on the SH-201 it get changed in the editor.
if i connect the headphone to the SH-201 i get sounds.
smokebeast

Post by smokebeast »

Hiya Guys

I was having a similar problem with my install. So will have a go to try and help you out.

I didn't have the problem with the editor though, that worked fine in Logic. By simply selecting the editor in the AU list?! I can sync it with the 201 and can see my movements etc. Sounds like your sorted that though.

Now for the sound...

There are 2 ways to do this. One way is to use 2 jack plugs from your 201 and plug those into your soundcard inputs. Then create a softsynth channel in logic and open your 201 editor. This will allow you to see your movements and to also make any adjustments via the software rather than the actual synth. Benefit of this also is that any patches you create will be saved with your DAW.

Then you need to create another channel in Logic but this time create an audio channel. Set the input to be the input of your soundcard and then when you play a patch on your 201 you should hear the sound through Logic.

When you want to record simply press the record button and play. If you want you can play something then make adjustments to the midi notes in the piano roll. Then Arm the auido channel and press record. Logic will then trigger your 201 to the corrected notes and will record the audio at the same time.

One thing to note is you can only play and record one patch at a time.

If you wanted to do the above and you dont have any spare jack leads or your soundcard does not have jack inputs you can achive the above using just the USB cable and using Aggregate Device in your mac system preferences. This will be in the sound options.

Type in Aggregate Device in google and there will be a step by step.

Basically what it will do is look at all your inputs available. So the inputs on your soundcard the 201 and the mac's built in inputs and outputs. It will then compile them into one device called an Aggregate Device. Then when you load up logic go to your preferences to set the audio to Aggregate Device.

If you use this approach when you create the audio channel you'll need to set the input to be the input your selected for your 201 and the output to be the output for your soundcard.

I.e

Aggregate Device

Soundcard has 2 inputs 2 outputs
Mac has 1 input and 1 output
201 has 2 inputs

Aggregate Device would then show 5 inputs and 3 outputs

(when you set up the Aggregate Device you can select which ones you want to use)

So told mine to make an Aggregate Device with just the soundcard and the 201

So my Aggregate Device says is has 4 inputs and 2 outputs.

There is a roland video explaining this probably abit better than i have.

If your still stuck let me know and i'll see if i can find the link for you
llsutherland

Post by llsutherland »

Hi guys,
I'm a bit behind you but having the same issues.
Someone has discovered this:
After looking at the log files I discovered the following:

2/23/08 10:07:50 AM runner[350] postflight[369]: The file /Applications/Utilities/Installer.app does not exist.
I checked this an what do you know it isn’t there. Apple has moved it.
Solution: To fix this open a Termnial and type the following:
1) Create a link to the application. By creating a link rather than copying the app it will ensure you that the Utilities version is the same as the on in CoreServices.
ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app /Applications/Utilities/Installer.app

I haven't tried it but I'm a little bit leary about this. Roland should really be the ones to fix this.
Deep79

Post by Deep79 »

editor vst plugin works perfectly in my cubase sx3 without any problem, but if I open it in cubase5 this does not work well ... does not change the sounds in the patch browser, does not make me click on certain parameters ... has anyone had the same problem?

why the editor plugins work well in cubase sx3 but not in cubase5?

anyone use it in cubase5 without any problem?