Tom Sawyer

Forum for SH-201
Crimsonian

Tom Sawyer

Post by Crimsonian »

Hello guys, I Need some help here...I'm in a cover band and the guys decided to play Tom Sawyer by Rush, I can't seem to get that growl sound and i've been trying for days...I need the growl sound on the lower keys and the lead moog sound on the upper. have anyone made a patch for tom sawyer? Please, help me out.
Thanks!
socprof

Re: Tom Sawyer

Post by socprof »

I tried getting the growl sound using a band pass filter sweep on two supersaws with moderate spread that were an octave apart, with digital delay to give it a big sound. The result sounded like it was in the general ballpark, but needed some further tweaking. I think the sweep might need to be modulated by an LFO so that it's less smooth.

Tony
Jupiter8fan

Post by Jupiter8fan »

Hi Crimsonian,
If you are still looking for that growl sound, here is how I got mine.
2 Saw waves, octave apart, tune the highest one down 1 notch. Set the mix to equal, set the low frequency to cut. Have a low pass filter, 12db, cutoff at 2:30, resonance at 11. No Keyfollow. In the adsr envelope:
attack 0, decay 5.5-6, sustain 4, release 10. Coming up from bottom. Depth at 7. If you use preset D-8 then you shouldn't have to change the amplifier ADSR. I put overdrive on the channel and make it solo legato. For the delay i used chorus, so delay 7. max depth, and time at 11:50-12. Reverb I put max depth and time at 2oclock.
And that pretty much gets you a sweep that sounds just like geddy's.

For the minimoog lead, I would have 2 saws, same octave, detune one slightly, set the mix to equal, low frequency to boost, low pass filter, 12db slope, cutoff at 3:00 resonance at 8:00, no adsr. Delay set to preset 7 no changes. Reverb set to max depth, time at 12:00. in LFO 1 change to sine, osc 1 pitch, and put the depth to 1 notch, rate to 2:00, once the keyboard solo is over put the depth up too max. Set the mode to solo, and portamento 2 clicks. that should give you a pretty accurate tom sawyer sound.

Be safe, Be happy
Until Next Time,
Jupiter8fan
socprof

Post by socprof »

I'm a little surprised your lead calls for a 12 db filter when Minimoogs use 24 db. filters. But there are lot of other differences between the two boards, so maybe the change in filter slope compensates for something else? I'll try it with both slopes and see which one my ears prefer.

Tony
Jupiter8fan

Post by Jupiter8fan »

Tony,
Yeah Its down to personal taste really, I think it sounds more accurate with the 12db filters. However I don't actually think Geddy used a minimoog for that lead, as far as I know (and I might be mistaken) he used an oberheim.

Cheers
Jupiter8fan