I hear a little difference in sound between SH 201 and reco

Forum for SH-201
M.A.

I hear a little difference in sound between SH 201 and reco

Post by M.A. »

Hi there, I use Sh 201 for quite a while and when i tryed ro record Sh201 into audio I was able to hear a difference in sound ( is not as big I would say 92 % out od 100) , but i was sure it is not the same. When I hear that sound directly from Roland, the sound appears kind of more living , but when I hear it in a sequencer or after rendering it into audio format I m not quite satisfied by it..
Question is : Is this audio should be sound like this or it is not normal?

I use Sonar 8 with connection Roland through the Usb cable .. and make Roland Sh 201 output in Sonar!
Dsnow

Re: I hear a little difference in sound between SH 201 and

Post by Dsnow »

What exactly are you comparing? When you say ‘after sequencing’ does that mean that you say, record a single note and then program the passage? Because that could sound different when played due to key velocity- the sequenced version would no longer have that dynamic.

The only other thing I can think of is recording quality. Are you recording at least 16bit .wavs? Because that should be enough to preserve the quality coming from the synth. And I’m not entirely sure, maybe someone else could take a stab at this, but it might be possible that you are losing quality through the USB cable. Do you have the same problem if you try recording from the audio outs on you SH201?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

[quote]it might be possible that you are losing quality through the USB cable/quote]

No, that's not possible; it's 1's and 0's.

@OP - This isn't an experience confined to the SH-201, I've heard similar accounts on the Juno and both Fantoms.

The simple answer is if you like the audio output, record that. ;-)
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Well, I thought perhaps the USB compressed the output or something. If it isnt the USB connection, what would cause a loss of quality?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Hi M.A. !

Grab the EQ processors out in Sonar, touch up the Audio to make the sound equivalent.