SH-201 with spd-s tempo issues. HELP

Forum for SH-201
Jumpinmonkey10

SH-201 with spd-s tempo issues. HELP

Post by Jumpinmonkey10 »

To start i'd like to mention i'm a little bit new to electronic music so bare with me. I have a bit of a dilemma here and its driving me insane cause i feel like this is incredibly capale equipment. I'm trying to sample small things fom the sh-201 using arpeggiators and LFO's and such. I simply put the spd-s at 120.00bpm and tried to use the sh-201 with it, assuming i could adjust the tempo till i found 120.00 and start them at the same time to match tempo. This doesn't work for me at all, the sh-201 always seems to drift. I tried using a metonome in the same manner and it synced up with the spd-s just fine at 120.00, so i dont see why the sh-201 wouldn't do the same other than it's not at an even 120.00bpm. I looked into slaveing one or the other and from what i've been told the spd-s is incapale of midi sync of any sort. I dont have a whole lot of money to my name and i dont want to buy a sequencer just to use as an extenal clock source, when im not even sure it would help because the spd's is incapable of midi sync. I can't record onto the spd-s until they sync up for obvious reasons involving looping and such. ANY suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jumpinmonkey10

Re: SH-201 with spd-s tempo issues. HELP

Post by Jumpinmonkey10 »

If anyone needs to know how to do this sort of thing without using midi sync i've found a method that actually works pretty well, so i'll just answer my own question. Simply record onto the spd-s as single (one hit) without a metronome of any sort and change it to phrase(loop) later. Using phrase maker record a simple click track for the same amount of measures as your loop. Go into wave edit -then start/end point to look at the start and end point of your click track and change the start and end of your loop to the same numbers. they should match up perfectly all day long and as long as the tempo on your arpeggiator or LFO is really close there shouldn't be any noticable differences in anything else you add to it. took me a minute but i think this is a good solution for anyone who's got the same problem. (Im just upset that two roland products are so completely incompatible.)